1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice for cleaning the steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by hybridtwins, Sep 7, 2009.

1. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I'm talking about getting out stubborn ground-in grime that's been building up pretty much since Day One on my 2002.

I've done a fair job using Simple Green cleaner, a roll of paper towels and a lot of elbow grease. But I wondered if anyone has a better suggestion.

2. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mark,
    I would try a really good vinyl cleaner. I would use a soft cotton towel instead of paper towels. You will get more traction with the towel. I have had good luck with vinyl cleaner in the past, possible what your using may work just as well????

Joe

3. bbcb

bbcb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you ask about automotive cleaning products, be prepared for a religious debate.

I've always found good results with 303 Aerospace Protectant. I get mine at Ace hardware ~$11/bottle.

With a microfiber towel, it cleans it right up - what's more, no greasy residue nor oily shine like armor-all will leave *and* it leaves a satin finish, so the dash is not blinding in the afternoon sun. Additionally, it won't dry out the vinyl like Simple Green will.

I still use SG to degrease under the hood, but after the rinse and it dries off, I use the 303 there too to keep the rubber supple and with a dealer-prep look.

A little work, makes working under the hood cleaner and less frustrating.