1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice for Inspecting/Accepting a Prius that was shipped cross-country....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sierpinski, Feb 25, 2014.

1. sierpinski

sierpinski New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello All,

I just bought a brand new Prius. The dealer is shipping it to me, and I'm freaking myself out with too much Googling. I've read so many horror stories of the damage that people find on their cars due to shipment. I know the inspection when I receive the car is important, but it seems some of the damage can be very unobvious. Of course, I'll look at the whole car, but does anyone know of a checklist, or at least some things to focus on that are susceptible to damage during shipment? It seems that once you sign the paperwork, you're stuck with whatever you've got.

Thanks!

2. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the car insured whilst being shipped?

When you say "shipped", is it in a steel container or on the rear of a car transporter? How do you guys move cars in th US?

3. sierpinski

sierpinski New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, the shipper has cargo insurance. I wasn't going to start my personal auto insurance until I receive the car.

4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have the dealer fax your the vehicle inspection report at the time of shipment. It should list any known problems with the vehicle (should be none with a new vehicle) and be signed off by the transport company. Be sure to take delivery in-person during daylight hours so you can thoroughly inspect the vehicle after it is unloaded from the trailer. Compare the inspection report they ask you to sign with the report you received from the dealer. The vehicle may have been loaded & unloaded multiple times from various trailers before reaching you. Each movement is an opportunity to cause damage.

5. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    have them ship it to a local dealer for inspection before you pick it up.

6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The trucker will have to sign off at the dealership that the car is externally flawless/new condition to protect the seller.
    Once your car arrives- you'll have to do a physical inspection to confirm the exterior is still flawless. If any damage has happened in transit- the trucker's insurance will cover it.

Any mechanical issues will be covered by Toyota for the regular warranty period.

FWIW- I've had two vehicles shipped across the country to NY without incident in both cases.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

It could be in an enclosed trailer or on an open trailer or on the back of a flatbed truck. The car may still be wearing the protective film or it could have been fully prepped at the selling dealer. Unless specifically stated in the contract there is no way of telling.

Tony D likes this.
  8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    From my experience, if the car is damaged during transportation, you can file a claim against the trucking company's insurer. If you refuse to accept the shipment, then you will not get the car and seller is not responsible because the seller has fold filled the contract once it is shipped.