1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice for newbies?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kh67, Oct 2, 2007.

1. kh67

kh67 New Member

I feel so proud to finally have the title of "Prius Owner." :D A few years ago DH and I test drove a Prius but came to the conclusion that it just wouldn't fit into our budget, and I spent the interim coveting every Prius I saw. We recently had been discussing upgrading our vehicles, and to be honest, a Prius never even remotely entered the conversation. Imagine me surprise, then, when on Friday my DH asked if I wanted to head to the Toyota dealership and take a look at their Prius stock!! Turns out they were closed (at 6:00 on a Friday night!) but we were able to peer into the windows of about 10 in-stock Prius. We quickly decided on the 2008 magnetic grey #3 package and made a plan to come back on Saturday. Cutting to the chase, we picked up the car yesterday, quite a shock for me, since a few years ago there was a waiting list just to order one!! Anyway, I'm finding myself trying to think of places to go just to take her out for a spin. :)

I've learned a lot from reading on the internet, the most important so far is to, under NO circumstance, overfill the tank. Short of sitting down and reading the manual cover to cover (which I might do anyway!) is there any other new owner advice? Anything you wish someone could have told you when you first bought your Prius?

2. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Read the manual. It took me about a week, reading a little every night. But it's worth it.

For maximizing your mpg, there's a sticky thread on this chat with plenty of advice.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations and welcome to PriusChat!

Perhaps take a look at our newly renovated KB section (Knowledge Base) and pick up some tips and tricks of the trade. Anything from EV mods, to matching the EPA mileage to turning off the reverse beep!

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never let anyone put in more than 3.5 quarts of oil at a change. 3 is plenty. Always check the oil level yourself before you drive away.

When the last pip on the gas gauge starts to flash it means "buy at least 4 gallons of gas right now, dammit".

Always lock the car. If it gives a long beep it means you have left something open or on, which can kill the 12V battery right quick.

In Iowa you will never need to shift into "B".

5. kh67

kh67 New Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. There's so much to take in, but its so much fun doing it. :) I keep stumbling upon new little features and keep saying "wow" at just how smart this car is. I think I'm in love! LOL about Iowa. I totally agree!! My husband is so obsessed with "B" and its purpose and is having a hard time accepting my just-pretend-its-not-there attitude.

What a great group of people here and a wonderful web site!

6. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kh67 @ Oct 2 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]520445[/snapback]</div>
    Can I ask where you picked it up in Iowa and what you paid?

7. kh67

kh67 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 3 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]520555[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota of Des Moines... www.toyotadm.com.

I think the sticker was something like $25,386 and they took off the $386. How generous. ;) They were pretty generous with our trade in, though, so I guess that helped.

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 3 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]520555[/snapback]</div>
    Husker4theSpurs-

We're in Nebraska also, and just bought our 2008 Seaside Pearl #2 in Columbus-Ernst Toyota. They were great to work with, Mike was the salesman and Rex is the manager and we dealt with both of them.
    MSRP was $23,824 with some added extras (floor mats, sticker thing by the trunk) and we paid a little over $900 less.

So maybe if the Iowa option doesn't work for you, then you can stay a little closer to home in finding one!

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to the Prius owners club!

10. kh67

kh67 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kh67 @ Oct 3 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]520563[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, I should add that when we were there on Friday there were 3 or 4 magnetic grey Prius (what IS the plural of Prius???) and when we picked up the car on Monday, DH said that he didn't see any left. I just checked their website, and our car is still on there, verified by the VIN, and it shows it in stock and available, so you can't trust what they list. On the other hand, while we were there on Saturday, my daughter pointed out that a semi pulled in delivering cars and that there were some Prius on it. I did overhear, too, a salesman on the sales floor trying to talk a couple into buying a Prius instead of a Corolla, telling them that they had plenty of them in stock.

11. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toletiquesbysam @ Oct 3 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]520568[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I was curious if Ernst really carried many ... do they seem to get many in? Did you have to order yours? I am originally from Norfolk, so I tend to run through Columbus a lot on the way back from Lincoln. Thought maybe since Columbus may not be a hybrid hotbed, they could offer some good deals :)

I am pretty set on a Black Touring Pkg 6 if I get one, but it doesn't seem that Black in Touring is being sent to this area as of now ... just a while back, black WAS being sent here in the Touring and white WASN'T being sent in a Touring. Confusing :)

So far here in Lincoln, I haven't had too great of an experience with Performance ... I think it was just my salesguy, but it kind of turned me off of them. I have no hesitation of going to Des Moines or Kansas City ... or Columbus :) Then again, I probably won't do anything for a few months yet ... and even then it might be getting too close to a major re-design to go ahead and purchase.

If Toyota nails the re-design (or even if they don't just screw it up completely), can you even imagine the demand for the new model? It's going to be crazy!

Thanks for the info!

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Around here the acceptable plural forms of Prius are "Priuses" and "Prii." I think you could only get away with actually speaking the word "Prii" with other Prius owners who are active online though. Everyone else will give you funny looks ;)

13. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 3 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]520575[/snapback]</div>
    The reason we ended up at Ernst-Columbus was because of the salesmen's attitudes in Omaha area/Lincoln/Sioux City, my DH was about to give up. So he called Columbus and they were great to him, so we went to talk to them about the car and seeing about our trade in. They gave us a GREAT deal on our pickup and I think a GREAT deal on the Prius so I was Completely pleased! They had another couple the same day come for the other Prius so I think they sell them as they get them but we only had about 3-4week wait to get it so not bad at all.
    Maybe by the time the new model comes out I'll have finally figured out how to pulse & glide and get my stealth on and learn all the other lingo that comes along with this baby! In the meantime.....Go Huskers!!

14. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kh67 @ Oct 3 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]520550[/snapback]</div>
    "B" engages engine braking. Don't use it unless your "traction" battery is full, as it wastes energy. (similar to shifting down on an automatic transmission to slow down.)

15. berkley

berkley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Advice for newbies

Hey FNG's!

My dealer puts on "New hybrid Owners Parties". the 1st Wed or every month, Rudy Luther, Golden Valley MN, puts out great food/refreshments, free coupons for oil/filter change & discount on parts, plus a DVD explaining how to use the not so friendy GPS/Bluetouth system and other assorted literature.
    But the big deal is speaking to a top technician, asking ??, and looking at the under side of a Prius when it's on a lift!!! there were lots of people and great networking.
    I learned alot and I've been driving a Prius for a few years....here's the best sites/info I could find for you new owners!!!!
    PS: let's start a "hi-we're cool wave" when we pass each other {it worked in old VW's!!}

Enthusiast Forum
    Hhttp://priuschat.com

A very informative forum where you can participate in online discussions related to Prius.

Owner Webpages
    HJohn's Stuff - Toyota Prius Owner Index

Where find a variety of hosted Prius owner webpages with many photos.

Graham's website
    Hhttp://www.ecrostech.com/prius/original/PriusFrames.htm

An owner’s website that thoroughly documents many aspects of the Prius.

john1701a's website
    Hhttp://john1701a.com (and the best Owners Manual you can find anywhere!!!!

This is a very large Prius owner website. As of 11/25/2007 the combined Classic & HSD Prius content (148,195 miles combined) available consisting of: 838 webpages, 1571 digital photos, 1567 offline pages of personal logs, 83 animations, 66 wallpapers, 16 spreadsheets with graphs, 34 documents, 6 screen-savers, and 5 printable calendars, along with a few other Prius related items. There is also nature gallery with 151 photos.

see ya on the road!!