1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

advice for sub rattles/placement/mounting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by austingreen, Feb 18, 2010.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a basslink subwoofer bungeed down in the hatch right behind the passenger seat.

I think i'm getting some low mid vibrations that are set off by the subwoofer. They may be coming from the hatch, or from the cavity underneath. I do have various things in the pan under the tire. So the questions are, is there a better location, or preferred mounting that can help. If not is there deadening material that I should be putting in the hatch or underneath on the plastic piece over the spare.

Thanks
    Ed

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I shouldn't be jumping in on a Gen III issue (I own a Gen II) but does the Gen III also have the tools in the tray under the floor? These are notorious in the Gen II for rattling. Try wrapping them in a rag or something to see if that helps.

My 10" Infinity Reference sub rattles my scraper and snow shovel - I'd take them out, but sure as I do we would get a blizzard and I'd be stuck somewhere in I-70, LOL.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I may fill the tray with towels and t-shirts and see if the vibrations go away. If it does, I wonder if there is some sort of thin liner I can put down. I'll also check that the tools under the tray are secure and rattle free. I really like the tray (friends who had seen how disorganized my trunk was in the previous car, get surprised that everything looks put away in the prius.) I'm hoping its the tray or things under it. The cover is also a suspect maybe I'll pull it out as a check.

I do have some tools in the tray, but I can wrap them. I'm lucky here that I don't need a snow shovel. It doesn't snow here often, and if it does no one expects you to drive (too many people on the roads that will slide into you).

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I put something in the tray under the rear hatch floor I forget it's there for months :D

My 500W amp is attached to the floor of the tray using industrial velcro. I now don't put much down there since I don't want it hitting the amp (or covering up the amp's cooling fan).