1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice from Prius Owners? New/Used?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mmm22, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mmm22

mmm22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I have been considering purchasing a Prius and need some additional help or advice to either purchase new (2011) or used (2008-2010). I know there were some changes to the 2010 model, anything major? Do these all have the same battery, will they be relatively same price for repairs of vehicle and/or battery? I have never owned a hybrid so am considering buying used first to "test the waters". My husband typically does all car maintenance (handyman) but not sure if he would be able to do work on the hybrid system. For those that do car repairs/maintenance themselves, what are the major differences? Just as easy to change oil, spark plugs, filters, etc? Not finding any good deals on the new 2011 (few left, no real incentives) but I am going to keep searching. Would love any info to help me decide! Mainly do I buy used (looking for something 50K or less miles) or buy new? We typically keep cars pretty long (right now have 2 vehicles at 200K each). Thanks so much for your help!

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There were several changes from 2009 to 2010. The dash/console changed quite a bit, and there's some design tweaks, like a crease on the outside doors, so you might have a preference just on that part.

The 2004-2009 model gets about 48 mpg, the 2010+ gets 50 mpg, probably not a real game changer for you. I haven't crawled around the new one, so I'm not the person to compare them from a maintenance standpoint. But the hybrid parts shouldn't need much if any maintenance anyway (and probably best to let professionals handle that in any case). Brake pads almost never need replacing, because of the regenerative braking.

A newer used one like you're looking at should be pretty reliable. If you get a 2005 or before, there's a few recalls that should've been done, you'd need to check for that.

3. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi mmm22. I have a 2010 that I dearly love and do all the oil changes myself. Your husband won't have a problem with this but it is different. Its a plastic reusable cartridge type you just unscrew and change the internal element. I went with the 2010 model because I liked the body style, new engine size, (1.8L compared to 1.5L) the bridge console, etc. I also liked the fact that the new model Gen III does not have an internal gas tank bladder. Which I hear was a problem when you filled up in winter because it shrinks. Best wishes! Hope you find the one you want.

4. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since you keep the car for long time, get the new car model year 2011 base level. You get the all the technology without expensive add-ons.

This is second year since major model changes, it's improved upon 2010 model minor issues. Maintainance is simple and cheap becuase there is not much to do.

My advice is buy NEW, and drive until the wheels fall off :)