1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[Advice] Mechanic did not see issue I stated, now same issue 1 yr later pops out, advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lucasanderson298999, Mar 28, 2017.

1. lucasanderson298999

lucasanderson298999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello friends,

I need your help please. I heard a pumping sound, as heard here on this youtube video, in my Prius 2008 for over a year, so I told the mechanic to check it out. Mechanic could not hear it and dismissed problem. I had posted about this issue here on Prius Chat about this sound and was told by several people that it was the coolant control valve. They linked me to this forum P1121 - Coolant Control Valve Replacement (with pics) | PriusChat for further explanation. Since mechanic could not hear it and since he said it was ok, I did not pursue issue any further. I still kept hearing the sound though.

About one year later, which is today, I get engine light for that exact problem, the code: P1121. I'm worried more problems will result because I did not fix in time.

I'm going to see same mechanic this week, how should I go about it? I am disappointed, and if it turns out to be expensive due to the fact that it was not fixed when I had presented the issue and thus more problems were caused because of it should I ask for a discount? or suck it up?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

2. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doubt leaving it would cause further problems, apart from lack of cabin heat. Ask your mechanic how much to replace the valve. Consider taking it to a dealer where they have much more experience dealing with this (common) problem and the parts on hand. Probably around $350.

3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The p1121 code will come on and off if you do not get to it immediately. The valve cost about $70 I think, it does not have to be taken care of immediately. You could let it slide for 6 months and not have a problem, but If you are especially worried than take care of it as soon as you can. Just don't get into a accident on the way to the mechanic. (y)

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, it's not a big deal. I agree no harm has been done by not catching the problem earlier. I let mine slide for years before finally getting the P1121 code, then another few months to change the valve. As stated, the problem is intermittent and it's possible it was fine when your mechanic checked it.