1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on buying 2012 Prius V with an oil consumption issue

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by johnd12, Jan 19, 2017.

1. johnd12

johnd12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking of buying a 2012 Prius V with 215000 km .It is from a very good friend so it's all in the open.
    He says the car uses a litre of oil per 3000 km.Dealer suggested to change the timing chain cover for a lot of money.I did not see any smoke from the tailpipe.
    The mileage is 90% highway and all maintenance was done by the book.He is the first owner.
    The car will see very little use(shared by my family members) so I thought it might be still worth considering.I have been riding in it since new and even drove it a few times over the years.
    Any ideas on the consumption issue?

Thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are they sure that's where the oil is going? You can check down towards the bottom of that area, it's on right side of engine (on your right as you sit in driver's seat). You might be able to see through the wheel well, or jacked up a bit. If it's a serious leak there would be a lot of accumulation on the inside of the engine underpanel I think.

Some people have been having minor leaks, fixed to tune of $1500+, typically charges waived due being within warranty.

I'm just thinking there might be minor leakage, but it's not the main factor?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's just math. You can add a liter of oil ~$4 between oil changes. Which comes out to about an extra $70 over the next 100,000 km. Or you can fix the timing chaining cover for a sum of money I'm sure is way more than $70. And now you know why your friend didn't bother fixing the problem.

BTW, you have to lose a quart of oil out the tailpipe over 1000 miles before noticing any difference exhaust. I'm not going to bother doing the conversion as that is way more consumption than you're talking about.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The key is awareness:). Sounds like you know going into this what the issue is, now it would be to keep an eye on the dipstick and top up as needed. Does Calgary have emissions testing or you take it to a shop to inspect the car for registration? Sometimes with oil consumption it can fail the catalytic converter (which can throw a check engine light), so that would be one thing to be aware of.

Is there a puddle underneath the car, or is the timing chain cover leak just a slight ooze out of the cover? If it is just seeping out, that will not explain the quart every 3000 km as you would see that where the car is parked. My suspicion is it is consuming oil, and that can be managed;).

If it was highway miles, what type of driver is your friend, one who likes to go faster than the highway speed by 10+ mph? What are the highway speed limits around Calgary? I have noticed in our 2010 Prius II that when I go 10+ mph over the speed limits, my oil consumption increases ( a quart every 4 to 4.5 k miles), where if I go at the limit or 5 mph over, oil consumption stays low (a quart every 6500 miles or longer).

If you can get the Prius for a great price, oil consumption would not deter me. Your friend has probably got quotes for repairs so he is aware and probably would reflect that in the asking price. Just monitor the dipstick and keep it topped up. Try only going slightly over the speed limit and that should help.

How much usage do you think you will give the Prius annually?

Good luck(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. johnd12

johnd12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for all the replies.To answer some of the questions, my friend does not drive very fast, about 75 mph on the highway.We do not have emission controls (maybe only for cars bought somewhere else)so the catalytic converters may not be an issue from that point of view.
    I am tempted to buy it, like you said adding some oil it's cheap if I get it at the right price.
    I'll be able to post more details as he'll give me all the records and what the dealer has said about the timing cover issue.Not likely I'll put more than 2000 miles per year.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    As leaks go, a quart is a LOT of oil so it would be obvious that its leaking. Ignore anything the dealer says.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I agree that a good deal may be worth it, consider that a car with 135,000 miles will need some maintenance. For these relatively underpowered cars, prolonged 75 mph may be a problem. The car only holds about 4 qts of oil, so if you forget to check it could run dangerously low. If it's not pooling oil under the car, the catalytic converter is burning it. Eventually it will plug up and need an expensive replacement or, in most jurisdictions, an illegal bypass.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My way of thinking of the problem you pose.

Price a used motor and the labor cost to replace it. Divide the sum by two. If your deal plus that result is more than the normal list price of a similar car, pass. I see no reason for you not to get a large break in the price and I think the seller should have to absorb some of the cost/risk of the car's condition.

I doubt the dealer's quote provided a guarantee that that his proposed repair will fix the problem. And running a litre down frequently out of a relatively small quantity of oil to begin with can't have been good.

#8 mikefocke, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know Canada (Ontario) had emission requirements in the 1970s and catalytic converters were quite common then. I would be surprised if there were not similar standards for Calgary Alberta.

#9 Prodigyplace, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Canadian cars are very similar to US, do have catalytic converters.

11. johnd12

johnd12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn't say we do not have catalytic converters here but I have never had to take a car for an emission test to renew the registration.
    Maybe that is the right explanation then why there is no oil on the ground or smoke behind it.It's all burned by the catalytic converter.
    I'll find out I guess in a month when I buy it.I assume a new/used engine is prohibitively expensive and not worth the trouble.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the confusion. Many of us remember when they added catalytic converters to cars. The catalytic converter is considered an emissions control.

Thank you for clarifying.