1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on CoastalETech Mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nucdave, Jul 16, 2006.

1. nucdave

nucdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi

I'm the proud owner of a 2005 Prius Package 7. I am thinking of getting the Nav enhancement kit and the auto door lock mods from CoastalETech. Does anyone have feedback on them? Would these be something the Toyota techs would get upset about when I take it in for regular service?

Also, in relation to the NAV unit, I have DVD version 4.2. Is there a newer one and how much does Toyota typically charge to upgrade? Finally, does anyone have information on Toyota ever bringing out a NAV unit with real time traffic capabilites (like some independent units just coming out) and do you think they will ever offer a retrofit to older models?

Thanks alot
    David

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nucdave @ Jul 16 2006, 07:38 AM) [snapback]287131[/snapback]</div>
    1. Both the Nav mod and the Auto door lock mods seem to have received very good feeback. If you search under both, but just use "Coastal" instead of "Coastaletech" you should be able to find a few good threads on each

2. Yes, I believe my 2006 Nav unit has an updated DVD...I think I remember others saying that it costs $250 or so for the update (also do a search on that one)...although there have been a few reported problems when trying to update...so be sure to keep you old disc just in case

3. So far, no information on a Traffic version...as far as I have seen, even from aftermarket companies, those systems still are not "real time". Until the technology is standardized and all companies (Magellan, Tom Tom, Garmin, etc.) are able to use the same systems for traffic...and those systems are "real time" everywhere, I would not expect to see them in OEM systems. Retrofit would be fairly difficult and probably too expensive...unless a company like Coastal did it aftermarket.

3. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nucdave @ Jul 16 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]287131[/snapback]</div>
    I'm very pleased with all of the mod kits I've gotten from Coastal.

As far as concerns about service, I had my dealer install all my Coastal mods at a regular service, and they didn't even charge me to do so!

4. mkaliski

mkaliski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I installed the Coastal locking module. Instructions were clear and install was straight forward. Very satisfied with the modification.

Myron
    Ohio

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have been very satisfied with my costal mods. The EV is a bit tricky in that several of us have been timid about inserting the pin. Avoid that mistake and you are home free.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have Coastal's EV mod, NAV kit and Auto-Lock kit. I took my Prius to the dealer yesterday for the steering recall. Not a peep from them.

If you get their EV mod, just be aware that it and the Auto-Lock kit share one wire so you'll have a bit of a job putting both in.

7. nucdave

nucdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 16 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]287385[/snapback]</div>

Thanks all for the great advice!

8. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    anyone buy and install coastal's Ultimate Lockpick? how was install? the demo on the website looks ok. but i'm more curious about installation... what does it involve?

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I am giving Coastaletech another try- I ordered their Nav/Blue tooth upgrade well over 1 year ago and never received anything. I decided to try again and just ordered their ultimate lockpick for my 2005 package 6 with the extra kit becasue I have XM as well. I will post my results, good or bad, as they occur.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get the product this time- I spend a fair amount of time on my cell phone "bluetoothed", and this would make work life a lot easier for me when it comes time to dial a number. Not to mention being able to enter an address as rolling too.

10. bobeast

bobeast Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Jul 26 2006, 05:19 AM) [snapback]292522[/snapback]</div>
    I just ordered it as well. They charged my cc and sent a UPS shipping notification. A couple of days later I got a shipping-cancelled notice from UPS and the CC charge was reversed. No explaination, not email, nothin'

The same exact thing happened to me last year when I ordered the original I-agree mod w/bluetooth. 17 emails, 4 phone call attempts, a call to the BBB in their town, and various caveating on this board all yielded exactly 0 response.

Apparently they just don't care. If they happen to have the part lying around. they'll ship it. Otherwise its a black-hole.

Now watch everyone jump to their defense and tell me what great folks they are. :p

11. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I just got an e-mail advising me that UPS had a package, 3 pounds, due tro arrive for me on August 4, and they provided a tracking number which I immediately checked to see progress of shipping. All that tells me is they have an order to pick up the package and then expected delivery date. It does not, as of yet, confirm that a package has actually been picked up and is on the way to me. I will keep you all posted but this is the 1st time I have actually gotten this far with an order from Coastal. I am kind of excited but don't want to get to excited because I hate disappointment. I will keep my fingers crossed.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say I have never had a problem with Costal. I call or email and ask do you have it in stock. Whey they say yes I order and it is there in days with bells on. The back up camera was so easy because they set it up for me I almost regret having someone put it in for me. These folks may be a small operation but are the real deal. Key is as always communicate with them. I like the phone but I am old. Talk to them.

13. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Three things to remember about Coastal.
    1. If they have it in stock, the stuff generally goes out quick. If not, you have to be patient.
    2. Their customer service isn't that great. You may get a response, then again you may not. For me the telphone worked best.
    3. They don't charge your credit card until sending (at least with me).

14. bobeast

bobeast Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 28 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]294129[/snapback]</div>
    1) If not, you have to be a saint
    2) their customer service is non-existant
    3) They don't charge your credit card until sending mostly because its illegal in most states to do so, and against the CC companies' contracts as well.

Beleive me. I soooo want to like these guys. But when they refuse to respond to 17 emails and seem to always have their phone system on 'ignore' its hard to give them benefit of any doubt. Then when they play these silly UPS games of ordering pickup and then cancelling it just adds insult to injury.

By all accounts, They are "charming and wonderful" folks. But hey. I got lots a friends. I'm trying to buy a product.

15. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm one of those guys with no problems.

I ordered a rear hitch--came in a few days.

I ordered mud flaps AND my wife ordered mud flaps for me on the same day and Coastal called both me and my wife thinking it was a mistake but didn't tell me that my wife was ordering them for me. They called ME at work. I thought that was pretty cool.

So, no problems....plus you get Jelly Belly's with each order-cool.

16. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobeast @ Jul 28 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]294156[/snapback]</div>
    Oh I know what you mean. I made a comment back in April '05 on one of the Yahoo sites. Coastal's site went down in March, and I commented that I knew a company that took your money and went out of business. I then hoped they were not like that, but I would be reluctant to order anything until they started shipping. I was blasted by many members, including Coastal Dave himself. I was accused of trying to put them out of business and comparing them to that other company. I apologized and was "forgiven," largely because I was a newbie (didn't have the Prius yet), and didn't realize that if the Prius community was a real community, Dave would be mayor. I then ordered a NAV kit and an Auto-Lock kit from them in April '05. My Auto-Lock arrived in September and the NAV kit in January '06. I ordered the EV mod in February '06 and had it 8 days later.

I hope they succeed, but sometimes it seems like paying someone part-time to just update their site and answer phones and email would help.

17. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe me, when I first got my Prius I called and personally spoke to them when I ordered the Nav kit.....I was told it would be shipping within the week. After several months of nothing and calling and never getting an answer or leaving a message asking they call me back with no results at all, I saw they now offered the Nav blue tooth unit, I re-ordered and changed to that new kit. Again I was told it would ship w/in the week.....never got anything. E-mails, calls, no answers at all. I could not figure it out and finally just gave up. This last time ws my last try. I just pray that the kit arrives becasue I too want to like and support them becasue they make products we all need for our cars.

18. jannlinder

jannlinder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nucdave @ Jul 16 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]287131[/snapback]</div>

David,

I just paid $286 - 10% (AAA Discount -- ask your dealer if they honor it!) for my 2005's updated maps today.

Will get it in 2 days. Let you all know how it is...and what version it is. They said "4.8", although I thought it was up to 5.1 now.

Jann

19. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well here it is August 8, 2006 and still all the UPS tracking numbver shows is that it is billing information for UPS. The part has never been picked up from Coastal Tech, presumably because it has never been sent out by Coastal Tech yet. I am starting to think it is going to be a repeat of the last time I ordered and never received the part. I will continue to think good thoughts and maybe it will happen.....

20. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've ordered from Coastal twice without any problems as far as I'm concerned.

When I got my 2005 in September last year, I ordered all the stuff listed in my siggy below. Within 2 weeks, I had everything except the Nav/Bluetooth override kit which I knew was backordered. I received that back in January when they became available.

About 2 months ago, I ordered the kits for my forthcoming 2006 and recieved the entire order within a week.