1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

advice on degrees

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by geologyrox, Nov 2, 2005.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Sorry to bug you guys with this, but i consider my Prius forum-mates a cut above the rest =) I need a little advice.

I'm a great student. Actually, I finished all my coursework for a geology degree and a business degree in 3 years. I found out near the end that I was not allowed to participate in the dual major program, that I would be labeled dual-degree. unfortunately, that means i have to meet both college and major requirements. For my geology degree, that means proving proficiancy in a foreign language, something I am NOT. I've spent the last 6 months taking the SAT II spanish exam over and over, and still cant pass it. Maybe i'm not such a great student.

So i'm at the end of my rope - business won't delay my graduation date (even though it's STILL less than 4 years) so if I want a business degree, I have to get it now, and give up the geology degree. i'll get a geology minor instead. my heart will absolutely BREAK but I'll have a real degree, and a transcript with great geology course grades. This will, incidentally, qualify me for both the teaching certifications I want, as well as the grad program I'm interested in. I'm confidant my letters of reccomendation will get my in even without a degree - it's not exactly a competitive program. but I don't get the degree I actually want!

My other option is to give up the business degree and postpone my graduation date till spring, and try again and again and again to pass spanish. my score does keep going up, just not enough. at this rate, I should be good enough by april. If i'm not, then I've wasted a full four years with no degrees to show for it.

help me. i know you guys don't know me, but i want general feedback. for what its worth, i'll likely never work in geology, i'm running my first business right now, and will likely start and manage businesses the rest of my life. should i ever win the lottery, however, i want more than anything to teach at a science magnet or gifted high school. i'm planning to get the teaching in geosciences masters regardless, more for fun than anything - i recognize i will likely always be doing business for a living. it suits me. but geology is my passion, and i hate 'throwing away' the degree. anyone care to thrash this out with me?

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

If you really want a dual degree go for it!
    Do whatever you have to to pass the language proficiency.
    Maybe get a tutor, give up your social life, ... whatever.

The degrees themselves are not worth as much as believing in yourself.
    If this means a lot to you, you cannot afford to fail.

Do your best, geologyrox!
    We're routing for you!
    B)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I don't completely understand....
    It sounds as if you've completed all the course work (or are about to) for the business major, right? So take that degree. Then stay in school until you finish the course work for the geology degree--is that not an option? Do you have to take the minor and then leave the school never to return?

Finally, I'm sorry you're in this situation, but your advisor should have addressed these option with you over a year ago.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if geology is your passion, why are you saying you'll likely never do it?

sure, there's money in running a business. but why not try a year of field research in geology? get your hands dirty, so to speak. take another business class to hold them off for another year. then you'll have real-world experience in both. i also got my degree in 3 years. i had to drop the biochem major because i had a scheduling conflict with my capstone in molecular biology, and i could not put off my admission to graduate school because they didn't allow it. i regret doing that, even though on my resume it lists biochem as a field in which i have training.

of course, this is my advice because i'm the geek scientist who loves getting her hands dirty in a lab every day with no intent to ever teach. but it will give you a good, hands-on experience that may help you decide what's right for you in the long run.

do what makes you happy, above all.

5. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

i'll likely never do it because my husband and i don't do well when i go into the field - neither of us can stand the time apart. for that matter, i'm absolutely loving running m own business - i get a lot of satisfaction out of it, and i'll likely do it till i tire of it, then go teach, and work on the masters. the types of programs i'm interested in will likely think a business degree with 40odd geology credits would be a great candidate. my recs and grades are both good.

and yes, i've completed all the requirements for both majors, but haven't completed the college requirement (for the college of liberal arts and sciences) of proving proficiency in a foreign language.

originally, LAS had told me that if I ended up being unable to pass the spanish exam, I'd just have to settle for a dual major, and end up with a BA in geology. when i ended up not having the scores to clep out this last spring, i went to business to downgrade from a dual degree to a dual major. it turns out that the college of business doesn't participate in dual major programs, and i'm out of luck. I am asking the LAS department about 'returning' next year to get my degree. the advisor didn't seem hopeful, but promised to look into it.

I realize it's my failing for not completing spanish - i've been kicking myself since i found out in spring. unfortunately, I am out of options - I don't get a dual degree anymore. I have to choose =(

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    at this rate, I should be good enough by april. If i'm not, then I've wasted a full four years with no degrees to show for it.

[snapback]149091[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

This is the sentence that doesn't make sense.

It sounds as if your only issue as that a degree you choose to take now won't have "geology" on it. Yet you say you'll likely get the geoscience master credential later anyway---which will have its own "degree".

What will have been "wasted"?

I do understand your emotional attachment to geology, and, apparently, to its "display" on a degree. (After opening mine once, I never looked at it again!) But you're not wasting anything, just postponing part of the gratification for it.

Take your business degree, keep working on the other and don't look back.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take the business degree. I think its more "valuable" than a degree in geology ... you may find that you hate teaching, and a business degree gives you more flexibility than the geology degree for other careers. The "minor" in geology might help with landing certain kinds of jobs in business, such as environmental inspection firms, etc.

You already love business, and you never know where your professional life will take you in the future.