1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on purchase of 2011 Prius Five

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by OneQualityGal, Mar 31, 2018.

1. OneQualityGal

OneQualityGal New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are looking at a 2011 Prius Five with 40,000 miles on it for my daughter who will be commuting to school later this year. It appears to be very clean inside, with the exception of the top of the steering wheel showing wear. There are a few scratches on the outside, but those are consistent with the age of the car. The engine looks excellent according to my husband. The asking prices is $12,999, which seems to be in line with the average KBB price. I had wanted to get a higher mileage 2012, but my daughter really likes this one.

Is there a way to tell at lower mileage if a vehicle will be a victim of the oil burning issue that seems to plague the 2010 and 2011 models? Would we do better to hold out for a newer higher mileage version? This would be our first hybrid, so we are newbies. I think the hybrid warranty is good for 8 years/100,000 miles?

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Without seeing the vehicle or the carfax report, this could be a good buy. But with a hybrid, very low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing.

This car averaged around 6-7k miles a year. It might have sat around for periods at a time- not good for the hybrid battery. The traction (hybrid) warranty will expire sometime this year, which might be why the original owner sold or traded in this vehicle.

There is wear on the steering wheel, which is usually an indication of a higher mileage vehicle, so something might be fishy. Make sure you match the mileage with the carfax report over the past 7 years.

My personal preference would be to find a Prius that would have as much time as possible left on the 8/100k traction battery warranty. So, I would hold out for a newer model- but you'll also have many posters that disagree with me.

I'll let the more knowledgeable posters comment on how to check if an engine is burning oil during the inspection. The engine looking excellent could just mean it was cleaned and detailed. And there are different opinions whether the 2010-2011 models have an oil burning issue due to a design error, or if they simply have more miles on them.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get a 2012 with slightly higher miles, avoid 10s and 11s if you have the budget. In your shoes, I'd get her a gas only vehicle if her commute aint far. Alternative option, honda civic hybrid. Personally I don't recommend prius and toyotas anymore to save headaches.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • Why a Prius?
    • What’s your budget?
    • How long of a commute will your daughter have?
    • How far away from home will she be?
    • Does your husband DIY?
    Answers to these will help us help you;).

Keep us posted (y).

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

who is selling it? history is very important.

do you know of a good hybrid repair shop, or will be taking to a dealer?

savvy dealers always make sure the inside is very clean, and no offense to your husband, but you can't tell much by looking at the engine.
    with a prius, if there are problems, they are usually hidden. a compression test might help determine engine health, but if really only has 40,000 miles, you are a long way from oil burning problems, and proper maintenance may help to alleviate them.

Johnny Cakes and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I may...I had to make a similar decision before sending my Son off to College "Part 2". I say "Part 2" because the drop-out rate for College Students during the first 2 years is >90%, so we had him do his BS 101 courses and get his AS locally first to make sure he could and would. During that time he used my VW TDI...which was NOT feasible for away College. Anyway, I have a 2010 Prius and traded the VW in on a 2015 Prius with the intent of rolling the 2010 down to him when he left. Well...I kept the 2010 for myself because I have a very nice custom sound system installed and did not want to go back to Toyota's crap systems...and let him use "my" 2015 to finish school. He graduates this month, already has a job set up and is ready to buy his own vehicle. If all goes as planned, I will remove the stereo from the 2010, install it in the 2015 and sell or trade the 2010 in to help him out.

The moral of my story is...the Toyota Prius is a very reliable car...but so are all Toyotas and Hondas in the category of College Car. Yes buying used presents unknowns with any vehicle, but if all you are just worried about is burning oil, teach her to check the oil and tires religiously so you don't get that "Hey Dad" phone call.

A late model Prius, Corolla, Civic and/or Fit should all be relatively safe purchases for your intended purpose...but "IF" you should get "that call"...the Prius will likely cost more to repair. Just my honest as another Dad.

#6 frodoz737, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. OneQualityGal

OneQualityGal New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all of your input. My daughter will not be putting a lot of miles on the car at this point in time; she will be commuting about 10 miles each way daily for school and a mile each way for work. She is still living with us. She has Asperger's Syndrome, so when she locks on something she likes, nothing else will do. Therefore, the only car for her is a Prius. She really likes the size (smaller than our other vehicles) and the hatchback. I realize that hybrids are a better value for longer commutes, and while her commutes are short now, she may have a longer commute in a couple of years when she finishes school.

The car is at a dealership, and they did not seem to have any information on the prior owner; we have not yet seen the Carfax report. My husband can DIY with most things, but has done less with vehicles as they have become more computerized. A few decades ago he used to work on them quite a bit (think back to carburetor days). He also used to work for an automotive brake manufacturer. We are both really unfamiliar with hybrids as we have not had one. If we decide to pursue this, we would be taking it to our mechanic who specializes in Toyota and Lexus vehicles to have it inspected.

This car is at the upper end of our budget range. We do still have time to keep looking; we do not need the car until August, so there is no hurry to jump on one now. On the flip side, if there is something that looks really good, we can get it now.

bisco likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Make sure the mileage of the vehicle is legit, there should not be much wear in a leather steering wheel with 40k miles on it

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Unless it sat out in the hot sun beating on it all the time:(.

JC91006 likes this.
  10. OneQualityGal

OneQualityGal New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I wondered about; the rest of the interior is in very good shape.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 leather steering wheel still looks pretty good after 8 years and 106k miles

If the owner wears a ring and always has their hand at one spot, it may affect it

12. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it sat out in the hot sun and wasn't in use very often, that would be bad for the battery. In that case, the premium charged for a low mileage hybrid wouldn't be worth it.

22 miles a day during weekdays- let's estimate 130 miles per week. That projects to 6.7k miles a year, which is probably high as it doesn't factor for time off between semesters. At that mileage, you won't save that much on gas unless you can be relatively certain that there won't be an expensive hybrid related repair.

That brings us to the important repair fund that will be available for the car. And that's also why I would look for a model that has time left on the traction battery warranty that could last throughout her time at school. With her projected miles so low, you should look for a 2014 at around 50k miles.

13. OneQualityGal

OneQualityGal New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, we are the new owners of a 2011 Prius. It checked out well at the shop, so we went with it. The steering wheel is not worn as it looked, but the shop said someone had lotion on their hands and it basically coated it and made it look that way. They were able to clean off a small section, so we will be able to restore it. Thanks for all of your information, and I look forward to learning more as I read through other threads here. Our daughter is ecstatic.

Bay Stater, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!