1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on purchasing new O2 sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robodog, Feb 2, 2021.

1. robodog

robodog New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks,
    so my cat was stolen (sad violin chords), I ordered a replacement but it doesn't come with the downstream o2 sensor. I'm looking on partsgeek (too new to post a link still) and having trouble understanding the difference between these two parts:

Part 1, $55:
    Denso Oxygen Sensor - Downstream
    Part Number: 18435-05051655
    Notes: OE Style -- DENSO is the O.E. Manufacturer / Oxygen Sensor
    Features:
    • Designed to detect the amount of oxygen in the exhaust system
    • Constructed from high quality material
    • Features double protection layer, aluminum oxide trap layer, PTFE filter and stainless steel housing
    • Manufactured with precision to meet OE standards
    • Easy installation

Part 2, $39:
    Denso Oxygen Sensor - Downstream
    Part Number: 18435-05051629
    Notes: Universal -- O.E. Quality Universal Replacement Sensor
    Features:
    • Manufactured to the highest O.E. quality, guaranteed to fit right
    • Aluminum oxide trap, this extra layer helps to protect from silicone and lead poisoning
    • Stainless steel housing and porous Teflon filter all contribute to make a long life
    • Improved engine performance and greater fuel efficiency
    • Prevents premature sensor failure

I saw the cheaper one mentioned something about soldering it in place, while the first one includes a picture of what looks like a custom electrical connection, so I'm guessing the more expensive one is plug-and-play, and the "universal" one I'd have to splice. Can anyone confirm my thoughts here, or tell me what the difference is if not that?

Thanks for your time!