1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on rattles esp. glove compt., styrofoam in back around flat kit

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Dan Y, Sep 19, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Dan Y

Dan Y Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I'm looking for advice on resolving rattles esp. around glove compartment.

Our 4th gen. Prius is now 2 years old and doing great of course except that occasionally in last 3 months or so I've been noticing an occasional rattle on rougher city streets that seems like most likely it's from the glove compartment region though could be adjacent dashboard or passenger door. We live in a part of outer New York City with both some poorly maintained streets and tons of recessed manhole covers and other infrastructure that makes things bumpy at least on certain blocks, but these rattles are new.

The rattling is not related to what is in glove compt. but it seems like it goes away some times if I take time to open glove compt. and wiggle hinge around a bit. I noticed on here others with similar issue resolving it by insulating with felt somehow, can anyone advise on products to buy and methods to do that?

In just the last month or so I've also started noticing some new rattles somewhere towards the rear end of the cabin that I've been unable to definitively locate but I haven't taken the time to ride in the back with my wife driving to attempt that. I will say that some times the noises sound more like squeaking styrofoam which makes me think they are related to the styrofoam surrounding the flat kit equipment under the rear hatch area, and a lot of the time I would also otherwise guess the rattling is from back there (though maybe not always). Has anyone had issues with that stuff making noises and any tips?

2. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I found the car to be significantly louder than my Camry hybrid. I just got done soundproofing a majority of the car with butyl and foam. Much better now. As far as the glove box specifically I didn't really touch that area but there is stuff back there that could rattle you would probably need to pinpoint.