1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on right time to sell a Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JayEss, Apr 29, 2024.

1. JayEss

JayEss New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

First time poster, long time beneficiary of others' wisdom. Thanks so much to you all who post incredibly useful and helpful info!!

Does anyone have thoughts on when the right time to sell a 2004 Prius is? Some info below:

My 2004 Prius is coming up on 260,000 miles. After a recently replaced inverter coolant pump, I have started wondering how long I should keep the car. I also now have an intermittent check engine light with P0420. My mechanic's (Boulder Hybrid) take is that the cat is getting clogged and will eventually give out.

We have owned the car since 160k (second owners I believe). A quick list of repairs since then includes: Hybrid battery (replaced w oem at 180k), front brakes, driver side wheel bearing, cat shield, inverter coolant pump (replaced w oem), and regular oil changes (usually at the 4k mark).

The car averages over 50mpgs still, usually 52-54mpg at refill.

When we replaced the hybrid battery, I was thinking I would hold on to the car till at least 320k. Going from the 299k+ club that seems like it is still attainable, but starting to wonder if there are other repairs looming that would make it better to sell and buy a newer prius.

Any feedback or thoughts appreciated.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The break actuator and pump 1,400 part new maybe that's already been done You're right in the mileage range where this becomes a thing I usually just grab a used one off another car that's working and keep getting it I haven't put two on any generation 2 yet I have one that I've done this too that's like been on 4 years now right close to it no problems never seen a generation 2 that gets 52 to 54 miles per gallon and I've had four of them 4849 is about it for us but we drive the car it doesn't drive us so I'm just talking that up to that and I think you're even in higher altitude than I am in Colorado. I'm in North Carolina you're in an emissions state so that check engine light and the PO420 code are going to have to go whatever that cost $1,400 for a factory cat plus install but then that's good for another well 10 12 13 16 years who knows a long time My generation twos will be with me and be sitting here when I expire I guarantee it I'll let one go to a wreck maybe I don't know I'm just saying that's possible The other three will be here running and in near perfect condition they have a scrape here or two or I've driven them through the bushes and around fence lines and off-road but interiors are clean and in great shape most of them are leather The seats aren't ripped you can sit in them in shorts and not cut the backs of your legs and all that stuff Southern cars I can have a PO420 code here because I'm in a non-admissions county I can have a straight pipe if I want You can't there that will affect the price of what you get for your car because it can't pass emissions at the present time with that light and the code so somebody has to spend the money to get it up to snuff to pass emissions or you sell it to somebody in a state that doesn't have emissions which out west where you are are few and far between probably so that puts a hamper or a damper on your sales because now you're selling a car that can't be driven legally in your state technically speaking but your car in good shape getting that mileage in North Carolina could probably bring $5,500 there are dummies here who will pay that The current climate dictates those kind of prices even for that kind of mileage if the car is in reasonably good condition you know when you look at it it's not an eyesore when you look in the interior it's not trashed it's reasonable or better but selling it in your state with emissions and full force and you're not being able to pass knocks a couple grand off the price pretty quickly if not more it just depends on the climate of sales in Colorado I don't know anything about that area far as car sales go so if it's already registered to you and you only have to pass emissions every few years and you've got a ways to go till that happens again I would keep it and drive the h a l e out of it because you're not going to find much else getting 51 to 54 miles per gallon without a car loan I've never had one of those in my life and wouldn't look forward to having one now. So there's always that what you're going to get to gets 51 to 54 miles per gallon when you get out of your generation too is going to be a Gen 4 better Prius and they are quite costly and then you're getting into an engine that is known to have issues and may not be a good Toyota experience coming from a generation too I know it wasn't for us too deep in the Gen 3 and no good not for us not here other people may feel differently We know better now.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The right time is when you put it in the paper

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would get a feel for current value. it may be worth more to drive it into the ground

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah in my world is worth it to drive it until it doesn't that'll be a long dang time and then when that time comes by into the current nonsense whether that's electric hydrogen blah blah blah should be well established by then and all I have to do is switch vehicles no being a guinea pig none of that nonsense I don't like any of that My brother was a guinea pig with the Volvo XC90 cost him a fortune for a stinking Volvo lots of transmission issues lot of silliness that he had to pay for because he bought one of the first ones

6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm planning on selling mine if and when one of the following happen:

1. car trashed beyond reasonable repair (accident, fire, vandalism, meteor strike, etc.)
    2. yearly repair expenses more than $2k for 3 years in a row. (Excluding one new OEM battery every 15 years or so.)
    3. unsolvable mechanical or electrical issue resulting in loss of reliability or safety.

Had (3) happen once before on a car. A 1987 Mazda 323 would drop dead while driving - all the lights would go out and the motor would die. After it sat for a day it would work again. A couple of mechanics looked at it and none of them could figure it out. Getting stuck by the side of the road and needing a tow gets old fast. So it was sold.

If I lived in the rust belt there would also be this:

4. rusted out