1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on securing aftermarket Bluetooth mic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by isucompositeur, Apr 29, 2012.

1. isucompositeur

isucompositeur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks,

I purchased a USASpec BT35-TOY to add bluetooth and music streaming capability to my 2008 base model Prius. Installation went really smoothly. My only problem is, I'm having trouble securing the cable for the microphone.

USASpec recommends a mounting position around the inside mirror on the ceiling. I mounted the mic there, but I'm having trouble keeping the cable nicely routed around the windshield to the glove box (where the unit lives).

I tried just tucking the cable up under the plastic of the ceiling and along the edge of the windshield, but it won't all go in on the side due to the windshield adhesive. I tried taping it using clear tape, but the tape won't stick to either the plastic or the windshield, plus it just looks tacky.

Any advice?

2. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just installed a bluetooth mic into the overhead light compartment using a video that I found here. I simply router the cable under the rubber at the top of the windshield (easily lifted up and allowed the mic cable to slide under invisibly) to the front window post at which point I routed the cable down the front of the post (again there was a rubber strip under which the cable went under with just a fingernail to list up the rubber strip) then then down to underneath the dash where I routed it to the input jack. I had to take the dash off but I had to do that anyway because I was replacing the OEM radio.

Not sure exactly what kind of problems you are having (My Prius is an '07 btw) because routing the cable under the rubber strips was really a piece of cake.

3. isucompositeur

isucompositeur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take a look... but part of my issue is that my windshield has been replaced (damn trucks throwing rocks...) and the adhesive wasn't applied with the precision that it was from the factory.