1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on sourcing spare parts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by re-generation, Feb 22, 2016.

1. re-generation

re-generation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all-

I'm writing to ask for some advice/direction about how to source spare parts for a DIY repair.

We have a 2010 Prius, and through a misadventure with a parking column, the driver's side mirror is a bit broken. I'd like to try to replace the broken part myself, mostly as a learning exercise.

I'm generally pretty handy, but I have a phobia about fixing anything related to cars. I think it's mostly a fear that I will screw up something that will end up costing lots of money to fix. But the truth of the matter is the dealership want an exorbitant amount of money to fix the mirror anyway, so my feeling is that it's worth trying to fix it myself.

I found a number of videos online explaining how to disassemble the existing mirror and door panel (in order to detach the cable harness), and I think I could probably tackle that without major damage.

My main question is: where do I find the replacement parts that I need? It looks like the black plastic around the mirror is broken, and so is the clear plastic cover of the turn signal.

The black plastic part has the following text written on it:
    III (E4) 022865 TOYOTA III e4 03 * 2865 Murakami 9316 1223

The clear plastic cover has the following text written on it:
    MITSUBA 30-342 5(E13)0112210 SAE E2 07 A048695

The mirrors don't have heating, though they do have turn signals. I'm located in Israel (I don't know if that has a bearing on the part types), though I can source the parts in the US if necessary. I'm actually assuming that it will be cheaper to get them in the US if I can.

I tried searching for some of the part numbers listed on the parts, and I found general mirrors for sale, but nothing that I could see that matched those exactly.

So how can I find out where to get exactly the right parts?

Also, can I purchase (and replace) only those two pieces of plastic, or will I have to buy a whole new mirror assembly (housing, motor, turn signal, etc.)?

I've attached a few pictures - of the mirror, of the part numbers, of the damage.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer.
    IMG_20160213_163054.jpg IMG_20160213_163104.jpg IMG_20160220_114508.jpg IMG_20160220_114518.jpg

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your best bet is to find a wrecked car that's being parted out. If you use Craigslist, you can find these quite often. It takes very little damage to total a Prius, and then the shop or junkyard owner will sell the individual parts for very low prices. You might also get the benefit of learning how to remove the mirror from the junked car before you work on your car, which will be valuable.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not sure they have Craigslist in Israel. they should have junkyards or some local version of ebay. i agree used parts is the way to go.