1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on whether or not I should block my grills

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DerekinaPrius, Dec 2, 2010.

1. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey all. I've been reading a bit about pople blocking their grills to improve winter mileage. I'm unsure whether or not I should do this, so I was hoping someone with extensive knowledge in this area could help me. Here's some facts about my car and driving to help:

I live in Las Vegas and drive my car to work 5 days a week. The commute is 37 miles each way. Of those 37 miles, 29 are interstate driving (1000 ft climb to work, 1000 ft descent on the way home). I generally keep the vehicle between 62 and 72 mph on that portion. Of the other 8 miles, at least 4 of it is purely battery power or in the blue bar range on my HSI. Currently, the temperatures are ranging from the mid 50's during the day to mid 30's at night. I work swing shift so I experience both extremes in my daily commute. On the way to work, I leave the heater set at 75 on the second to lowest fan speed. On the way home, I bump up the fan setting for the first 4-5 miles of my drive and then turn it back down when it gets warm in the vehicle.

I currently get 50.4 on the way to work and 54.4 on the way home according to my HID. My actual mpg is usually about 2 mpg less than the indicator. I'm not really upset with these numbers by any means, but if there is room for improvement, I'd definitely go for it. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Edit on the trip calculation: First 6 miles to work are stop and go, then 29 highway, then 2 using only battery. (Yes, I have this down to an exact science)

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Though I don't think grill blocking would help your situation much, I don't think it would hurt. At least as far as blocking the lower grill. With those temps I wouldn't close up the upper grill all. With that distance, you will pretty much make up for the initial warm up.

I block my lower grill 100% up here in the winter. I can't say it makes a big difference in FE... though keeping road grime out of the engine compartment it does a great job.

Going slower if possible would probably work best for you. IMO of course.

p.s. what are you running your tire pressures at?

3. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately, the first 6 miles of my to-work trip are stop and go traffic in 45 mph zones. So there's not much I can do about that. I've already cut down on my speeds on the highway too. If I go any slower, I'll probably get rear-ended. The highway isn't too congested, but it's traveled by the same people day after day and many of them haul nice person for no reason. I got quite a bit of satisfaction yesterday when a Mustang flew by me when I was going 64 and then I passed him 15 miles later as he was getting a speeding ticket.

I don't know what my tire pressures are at. I just got the car a few weeks ago and the tire pressure light was illuminated, so they filled up the tires while I was signing the papers. I've yet to get a digital tire gauge (though I'll probably get one tonight) so I assume they're at whatever stock is. I plan on pumping them up to 42F/40R at my next fill-up though.

4. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just checked my tires. All four are at 31.5. I got a bike pump so I'll be pumping them up before work tomorrow and see if my mpg change. I don't think they will though.

5. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty low pressure. I keep mine ~42F/40R and found that it makes a bit of a difference over the recommended. I don't personally want to go any higher than that, since the city "roads" on which I drive will beat the car to death if I do, but I've heard of many here who do go higher.

I'm also interested in the grill-blocking--both for FE and for warming the interior faster--and will probably try the bottom half this winter, although I'd be more comfortable doing so with an actual temperature gauge or a scangauge. I might guess that in Las Vegas you might experience the occasional warm to hot day even in winter? Something to think about if you go that route--although from what I've heard, the gray 1/2" foam pipe insulation is perfect for the job, and I'd imagine you could remove it and replace it at will.

Good luck,
    ~T

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    timo27,

You can start by blocking the upper grill "smile."
    I'm running with it blocked year 'round.

AS to the lower grill, right now here in our beloved Ballamer I've got
    the 3 full size openings in the lower grill blocked. When daytime temps
    fall below 40 degF I'll block the half-size openings at top and bottom.

I do have a SanGuage to keep an eye on coolant temps. From 3
    winter's experience, once temps are down around 40 degF, there is
    little chance of overheating, at least in my routine driving.

My one-way commute is ~16 miles; ~50/50 urban streets at 30 MPG
    PSL and freeway at 50 MPG PSL. The blocking makes a difference of ~3
    MPGs.

I go a little farther to try to keep things toasty warm under the hood
    with a radiant heat block around the ICE:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...radiant-heat-reflector-gen-ii.html#post979632

If you're really interested in high(er) MPGs in cold weather, you need
    to cut way down on use of the heater and defroster until coolant temps
    get up to 157 degF. That means S4, when the car will go into a no arrows
    glide on its own. Above ~110 degF, you can get the ICE to shut down
    when stopped by turning off cabin heat and/or defrost. This alone can
    keep you from loosing massive MPGs when you're stopped.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CAREFULL NOW folks!!! Timo27 drives a Gen III. I believe the inverter is in the upper grill on a Gen III and you don't want to block it.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    D.O.

Definitely room for improvement there: the recommended pressure something like 34~35 with the 15", and most mileage cognicant drivers go higher, say at least 42 front /40 back.

I think your drive is an obstical: steep grades are generally rough on hybrids. Try slowing down a little?

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really have to block, block the lower grill for the city drive, stop and remove for the hwy drive, especially the uphill part.

I personally installed a steel mesh in the lower grill for rock protection and it's doing 50% blocking. No more blocking for me.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As others mentioned, I think you will see improvement with higher pressures. It is all a matter of what kind of ride you can handle. I am even running my studded winters @ 38 psi.

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Never block the upper grill on a Gen III completely. DP should not be blocking it at all driving at speed up mountains.

DP, I would not block the driver's (transmission) side lower grill either. The only cooling the transmission and MGs get is from air flowing over the transmission.

Being in a dry desert, at some altitude, driving up and down mountains, I think its best you get a scan gauge and learn how to use it before you do much than more than a 6 or 7 inches of grill blocking on the engine side of the lower grill in 30 F weather. Its not like you are pulse and gliding your way home across a metropolitan coastal plane, like many of on PriusChat that grill block.

Oh, get your heat on (AUTO ON 70F, or more) once your on the highway if your grill blocking.

Yep, and definately get those tires pumped up. You could get a blow-out with such low pressures at high speeds. And they will aquaplane easily too.

12. kingoftheding

kingoftheding New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    slowing down a little will always have a pos affect on gas milage:D

13. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is grill blocking safe? Why doesn't it damage the vehicle?

14. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Oh, I definitely slow down a bit. On most of the steep hills, I slow down to about 59-62. It's actually quite funny because that's when I usually get passed by big pickup trucks. I know they're thinking "what a slow car." Seeing that "CONS 53.3 MPG" is worth it though.

15. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dealer was actually the one who set it to what they are now.

16. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    New question: If I pump up my tires to 40F/38R or so, will my tires wear faster and actually cost me more money in the long-run?

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The point is to help retain heat, allowing the engine to work less.

100% blocking of the lower grille on a 2010 in a location where you experience real winter (well below freezing), you'll notice an efficiency benefit... without exceeding normal opertating temp.

197°F is the highest I ever see in the summer, totally block free. Most of the time it's 195°F. During the winter with lower blocked, the common temp I see while cruising is 191°F. So, you could imagine how much lower it could be without.

205°F is the acceptable temp many comment about... way higher than I've ever seen. So, I'm not worried.

18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drive a Gen II Prius, (totally different vehicle by the same vendor that looks similar) and I find that the tire wear is more even across the thread at higher pressures. (42f/40r) Toyota biased their recommendation for comfort, not wear. (I drive in straight lines, not sure what happens in an area with curves)

While I think the Gen III Prius is the same, I am not sure anyone has worn out a set of tires yet .

19. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't imagine that running the tires at around 40 PSI would cause that much wear. I can't imagine it would cost too much to replace my Prius' tires in 3 1/2 years anyway. Then again, I haven't bought a set of tires in a while. Part of the reason I traded in my old junker for this Prius was because I needed new tires! Haha

20. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah, I see! Thank you.

I live in a relatively warm area where this would probably be a bad idea.