1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice Please...Sound Shield Option & MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by XLR8, Nov 22, 2005.

1. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

I have two questions for all you veteran PC posters/Prius owners out there please...

1) Does the "Sound Shield" package (port option) affect the MPG? (extra weight)

How?

I understand that this is a "spray/fill in foam" type material along with a "tar" like undercoating/spray that they do. (correct me and/or add more info on this please)

2) Do you recommend it? Your thoughts please.

Thanks guys,

Aaron

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At best, it's useless; at worst, the installers will mess up your car. Save your money.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with Richard S. it's just junk they put on to try to get more money out of you. I wouldn't take it even if it were free.

4. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

Really? Wow, you two (tumbleweed and Richard S.) are the first ones I've heard say anything negative about it. And I'm glad to get more opinions too.

This surprises me as I have spoken with two other Prius owners who say it does make a difference. (reducing road noise that is, still don't know about what its affect might be on MPG)

Richard S....do you have it?

Thanks guys.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Assuming the extra weight is less than 50lb, it will not make difference of 1mpg. Case in point,

vehicle weight mpg
    Nissan
    Armada 5623 13/18
    Infiniti
    QX56 5661 13/18

The QX has more features and options, plus more sound-proof material, thicker glasses, etc. That explains the extra 40lb weight. The EPA data shows no difference at all.