1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice - rough treatment of car by tech at dealership.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KilgoreTrout, May 4, 2018.

1. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking for a little advice. I took my car in for the recommended 5,000 mile service today and observed the technician throwing my car into reverse, then into forward, then into reverse and so on 3 times. He did it with such vigor that I actually wondered if he was testing the brakes, or some other component on the car, so I remained watching until I saw another Prius enter the garage, which was treated reasonably by a different technician.

Concerned, I went and spoke with my service rep, who said I should talk to the service manager, whom I did talk to... He said he'd go down and talk to the rep, which I assume he did, and when he came back he said that the tech "was just getting the car aligned over the lift." He refused to acknowledge that the tech had done anything wrong. I said, "maybe he was upset about something else, I don't know," and he responded that the tech seemed to be in a fine mood when he talked to him and offered nothing else.

The car seems okay, but should I pursue this further? I'm going to be making payments on this vehicle for the next 6 years and I while I got an extended warranty, I want this car to make it to 200,000 miles or more...

pilotgrrl likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it. of course, it is difficult to tell how aggressive he was over the internet. taking your word that it was beyond the pale, i'm not sure what they can do to make it right. maybe have a talk with the owner?

RCO, pilotgrrl and KilgoreTrout like this.
  3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The service manager should have taken you seriously. I would elevate to the General Manager or Owner.

RCO, pilotgrrl and KilgoreTrout like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Being computer activation, there are plenty of safeguards, unlike the old style autos. Plus - reverse is purely electric drive, and I'd be surprised if forward wasn't electric drive as well at those speeds.

pilotgrrl, dubit and KilgoreTrout like this.
  5. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As long as the car wasn’t still moving when going from forward to reverse and so forth shouldn’t be much of a problem. Yes, there are safeguards you can’t for instance throw it in reverse at 60 mph, nothing will happen and probably get a nasty message in the screen if you tried.

Edit: on a second thought if I saw a technician do something reckless like that with my car I’d skip the service advisor and have a word with them myself.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've gone from reverse to drive, still slightly in motion, with no ill effects. I don't make a habit of it, and I was nearly stopped. Sounds like this guy was pushing it though.

Email the service manager: it is no big deal for them to take a little extra care with customers cars, that's what keeps them in business. And to dismiss your concerns is NOT good business.

Tande, KilgoreTrout and pilotgrrl like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    'Nother thought: that guy sounds incompetent: he shouldn't have to jockey the car back and forth multiple times, to get aligned.

KilgoreTrout and pilotgrrl like this.
  8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's simple. Spread the word about this dealership and your opinions far and wide. Never go back there, and let the world know why. The Service Manager should have had the owner CALL YOU! That is why I never, if at all possible, take my car to the dealer. And if I do, I watch them like a hawk. That Service Manager lacks what makes basketball possible.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ I missed that he'd already talked to service manager. Yeah not good.

KilgoreTrout and pilotgrrl like this.
  10. KilgoreTrout

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all. I'm relieved to hear that there probably wasn't any undetected damage done.

I'm still trying to decide if I should pursue this further in some form or fashion. I've had to deal with uncooperative service departments before (had one punch a hole in my leather seats once) and I just don't know that the payoff is worth the aggravation of chasing this up the chain. I suppose public reviews and a letter to the owner/general manager may be the best course of action.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Backing out of my driveway, I always go from reverse to forward without stopping. If I am going too fast or try to accelerate too quickly the computer will kick to neutral and give me a nasty message.

So the car is protected from abuse and the tech would have known this.

RCO, alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one time I semi-aggresively switched gears like that was trying to get out of a snow drift. But to get aligned on a lift, they guy should be more careful. He's the same guy that scrapes up your wipers when he yoinks them off to do the spark plugs.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yoinks :LOL::ROFLMAO::):D(y).

Very descriptive and visual ;).

You had me laughing :).

Keep the expressive words flowing(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Damn yoinkers! I hate them.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know if I would "push" this any further.
    Probably no damage and with in operating envelope.
    What do you wish to achieve if pushing further?

FWIW But as this dealer's customer, if I return to it, I would politely mention this story to the next service advisor, with the goal of more care taken to your vehicle.

16. KilgoreTrout

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will not be returning to this dealership, end of story. I said "pursue" not "push." Push implies that I'm taking something this farther than it should be, and that is not the case, whatever I should decide. There is a point of diminishing returns and I have not determined what I believe that is at this particular moment.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    again, the problem is expectations. first you would have to know what the possible long term damage might be. this is not like poking a hole through a seat cover, that's an easy one to sort out.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Too: listening to the customer, respecting their concerns, and then taking a little more care when jockeying their car around, is easy. Dealerships on the whole are more considerate these days. If they stonewall you, I'd maybe look elsewhere. Email to the franchise owner first?

19. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Gee... another unhappy dealership experience. Once again, as others have already expressed, I'm sorry to hear about your lousy treatment by the business to whom you've given your hard-earned money, and subsequently trusted with your substantial purchase.

I am very fortunate to have found (many years ago) a local, reliable auto technician shop, who services all of my cars. I've purchased several new cars over the years, and none of which have ever gone back to the dealer, except when there was a recall or TSB.

I have many terrible stories to tell about my experiences with dealers, which finally lead me to my local auto tech. I'm baffled why dealers are so short-sighted to allow customers to slip away because of their poor decisions.

Good luck on finding a new place to work on your Prius.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The issue is not the way the car was treated by the tech. That is inexcusable. The issue is that the customer's expectations were not met with respect to addressing his concerns regarding the treatment of the vehicle.

It is obvious, to me, that the Service Manager failed on two levels:

1. Properly addressing the customer's concern with the technician. The goal here should have been to notify the technician that his actions had been observed, and that such actions, were they true, would not be tolerated. A savvy individual would have gotten the truth from the technician. This level of dealing with the issue helps to ensure a high level of respect for the CUSTOMER'S property at the lowest levels. In the end, the technician now knows that he can "roll" the Service Manager because the Service Manager lacks the "metal" and/or skill to insist on quality.
    2. Properly dealing with the customer and building trust through satisfying the customer's true expectations. The Service Manager let the customer leave without satisfaction and a high level of mistrust. This bespeaks a high level of insensitivity or ignorance of his role in the service delivery model.