1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice Searching for Used Car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NewBuyer, Feb 9, 2008.

1. NewBuyer

NewBuyer New Member

Hi all.

I would love to buy a Toyota Prius, but I'm not sure I will be able to do so or that I should.

So I'd appreciate feedback from those knowledgeable about Priuses and other cars I'm considering alternatively.

I am a grad student on a very small monthly fixed budget looking for a stable, reliable, low repair rates and costs, holds its value well, good gas mileage/good for the environment USED car to finance. I'd also consider it a significant plus to be able to drive in the HOV lane, particularly on the clogged I-17. I expect to drive it gently, defensivey with lower than average yearly miles.

I am mainly considering cars rated as used car good values, high reliability, low repair needs, etc from Consumer Reports. I need a fairly low monthly payment and cannot deal with large repair/maintenance/replacement costs on my small fixed budget (for at least the next 3 yrs). (I also want to minimize my risk of being swindled by a repair shop/dealership for nonwarrantied costs, as I am not that knowledgeable about cars!)

Therefore, I am considering only Japanese cars, 2001(more expensive cars)-2005(least expensive cars), primarily the following:

Toyota Prius
    Honda Civic
    Honda Accord
    Toyota Corrolla
    Toyota Camry
    Mazda 3
    Nissan Altima
    possibly other Toyotas/Hondas

I would most love to own a Prius, and am considering having to spend more time looking for a decent car and deal among the used ones. But I am worried about and unknowledgeable about the following in a Prius:

*battery life & replacement costs, post warranty

*over 50, 000 miles: what life the car has/what repairs costs might arise; how high is not worth it/problematic in buying a used Prius

*higher insurance costs?

*higher replacement/repair costs/repair-tuneup labor costs?

*other hidden costs

*theft potential? high or low? vandalism?

*power of the vehicle: passing other vehicles, hills/mountains, snow/ice, contents in the vehicle

*differences between older and newer Priuses (ditto for Civics)

*anything else I just don't know about in having never owned/driven a hybrid car

*I read here the HOV plates will be gone in 2 weeks? And will the government discontinue this program anyway?

It seems like my choices end up being buying one of the oldest Priuses w/more miles vs. newer model regular Civic w/fewer miles, for similar prices.

Recommendations? Prius or other cars mentioned?

Thanks -- I really need the help! :)

2. NewBuyer

NewBuyer New Member

Hi all.

I would love to buy a Toyota Prius, but I'm not sure I will be able to do so or that I should.

So I'd appreciate feedback from those knowledgeable about Priuses and other cars I'm considering alternatively.

I am a grad student on a very small monthly fixed budget looking for a stable, reliable, low repair rates and costs, holds its value well, good gas mileage/good for the environment USED car to finance. I'd also consider it a significant plus to be able to drive in the HOV lane, particularly on the clogged I-17. I expect to drive it gently, defensivey with lower than average yearly miles.

I am mainly considering cars rated as used car good values, high reliability, low repair needs, etc from Consumer Reports. I need a fairly low monthly payment and cannot deal with large repair/maintenance/replacement costs on my small fixed budget (for at least the next 3 yrs). (I also want to minimize my risk of being swindled by a repair shop/dealership for nonwarrantied costs, as I am not that knowledgeable about cars!)

Therefore, I am considering only Japanese cars, 2001(more expensive cars)-2005(least expensive cars), primarily the following:

Toyota Prius
    Honda Civic
    Honda Accord
    Toyota Corrolla
    Toyota Camry
    Mazda 3
    Nissan Altima
    possibly other Toyotas/Hondas

I would most love to own a Prius, and am considering having to spend more time looking for a decent car and deal among the used ones. But I am worried about and unknowledgeable about the following in a Prius:

*battery life & replacement costs, post warranty

*over 50, 000 miles: what life the car has/what repairs costs might arise; how high is not worth it/problematic in buying a used Prius

*higher insurance costs?

*higher replacement/repair costs/repair-tuneup labor costs?

*other hidden costs

*theft potential? high or low? vandalism?

*power of the vehicle: passing other vehicles, hills/mountains, snow/ice, contents in the vehicle

*differences between older and newer Priuses (ditto for Civics)

*anything else I just don't know about in having never owned/driven a hybrid car

*I read here the HOV plates will be gone in 2 weeks? And will the government discontinue this program anyway?

It seems like my choices end up being buying one of the oldest Priuses w/more miles vs. newer model regular Civic w/fewer miles, for similar prices.

Recommendations? Prius or other cars mentioned?

Thanks -- I really need the help! :)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A