1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

advice sought about 2002 86K with flashing fuel indicator, combometer ECU replacement?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by RHMelen, Apr 16, 2013.

1. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Gen 1 2002, 86K miles, Nav option. Fuel tank is full. Fuel indicator flashes between full tank and empty tank, two flashes, pause, two flashes, pause ...
    $255 dealer investigation comments: Thinks it is inclination sensor in combination meter. Reset inclination sensor, still flashing. Reset system memory, still flashing. Disconnected HV ECU, battery ECU and combination meter, only one bar flashing. Removed combination meter, disassembled, no corrosion seen, all connections OK, reinstalled, still flashing one bar. Performed inclination sensor reset again, flashing gone, test drove for a while, all seems OK.

But the next day the flashing problem returns and is fairly consistent now. Dealer now says to replace combination meter = $300 labor + $450 part + 2 or 3 weeks at the dealer, presumably to have Yazaki USA record the right mileage on the new unit and make sure no new miles are driven for legal compliance.

I'm guessing there was never a warranty extension of the combination meter for the Gen 1 as there was for 2004-2009 models, true? I'll call Torrance just to check.

Anyone else experience this problem with a Gen 1? Any advice other than pay and wait?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I briefly saw this last week with our 2003 Prius. I went to start but did not turn it all the way to START and the key 'felt funny'. The fuel indicator bar would flash ON and OFF. I had not turned it far enough to engage START but some kind of a partial ING setting. So I turned the key OFF and tried again. It started normally and everything worked.

For me, an intermittent, and this incident last week was the first. But I was going to work and forgot to check for any codes. I'll check the car today and see if I can find anything.

Just a thought, you might call:
    Auto Careers Development Center - Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Repair Training

I've got to run to work but I'll check the wiring diagram this evening. If I remember correctly, there are several independent circuits activated by the switch, not just single contacts for each group. I'm thinking 'crap in the gap' might have led to an unexpected power-up sequence.

Does the car otherwise drive normally? Just the flashing fuel bar?

Bob Wilson

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honestly, this sounds like it could be a symptom of a weak 12V battery. I would start there. Dealers have been notoriously neglectful in identifying weak 12v batteries in the Prius.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for those ideas.

Did two short 10-minute errands this morning and saw no flashing, maybe requires engine to be warmed up. Though I suspect showing 7 bars for fuel remaining but 360 miles traveled since fill-up means the display can't be trusted even when not flashing. All other display functions of the combination meter see to be working -- speed, odometer, etc.

I talked to Torrance. All they had for 2002 was a TLB to reset the inclination sensor if the fuel display began flashing like this and the dealer says they tried that.

I'll ask the dealer about the 12V battery strength. It is original. My records show they tested the battery in May 2012 and state of charge was 50%, tested in October 2012 and was about 62% FWIW.

5. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I highly recommend preemptive replacement of the 12V battery. As I stated b4, dealers are notoriously bad for being able to diagnose a weak 12V battery on a Prius. If your going to ask the same dealer that you've been working with, chances are, their pride will not let them tell you your 12v is bad (because they should have checked that first and it would be too embarassing to admit that now).

If your 12v battery is the original, go ahead and replace it now. I would give that a 90% chance of fixing the problem at this point. Even if it doesn't fix it, you really need to replace it anyway.

6. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes I agree. Should be replaced no matter what. Scheduled now for tomorrow. Thanks very much. We'll see how things work afterwards.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

You might want to update your city and state. It helps us to identify specific resources that may be near your location.

Bob Wilson

8. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You're right Bob. Funny, I'm sure I typed "Palo Alto, California, USA" when I opened the account. But it wasn't there. Should be now though. Thanks for noticing.

-- Randy

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK. $255 battery + $75 labor and now we see if the problem returns. Dealer says they saw the flashing fuel bar return after the battery change but I drove for a half hour afterwards and did not. And had driven for more than an hour the day before and did not see the problem.

The tech that I want to do the work is out for a week next week (won a national Toyota award, gets a paid trip to Texas to view a new Toyota plant I understand) so I'm not scheduled to give up the vehicle for the long combination meter wait until April 29.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can name a few folks off the top of my head who should have been invited: hobbit and Patrick Wong come to mind including some of our local advisors.

Bob Wilson

11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The dealer saying they saw the flashing fuel bar after the battery change is probably just pure pride. Mechanics are prideful people and very unwilling to admit when they make a mistake. The sad thing about it is most people can't or don't hold them accountable for their mistakes. This allows them to "make up stories" to the average customer when they make a mistake. Most customers will not be comfortable with their own knowledge to challenge them.

I'm betting that your fuel bar is fixed and the 12V battery is what fixed it. I have seen this b4 on my Gen I when I had a weak 12V battery. If my diagnosis is wrong then, I will be the first to admit I made a mistake. I'm telling you that I will lose no sleep tonight wondering if I'm wrong (because I am confident that was your problem). I would not have the dealer replace the combo meter (especially at your cost) unless the problem returns (and I believe it will not).

12. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sad to say but the problem has returned. Flashing fuel bar for almost all the driving I did Saturday afternoon. I think replacing the battery was a good idea and I'm glad it was done. But the problem remains.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting!

I saw it once over a week ago when I didn't start the car correctly. I'll look over the electrical diagram and see if there may be some way to replicate the problem. Questions:
    • Toyota has used their Techstream scanner and found no code?
    • Your speedometer and trip meter appear to be OK?
    • No other issues?
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

14. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Bob, for your questions:
    • I don't have real details but they said no codes were found; don't know what scanner they have but they deal with a lot of Prius owners; I'll see if I can find out
    • all indicators function perfectly; the fuel indicator flashing never happens at startup, only after driving a little while, and not even then consistently
    • no other issues that I can tell
    Thanks for your thoughts.

-- Randy

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guys,

Not sure if you've looked but I haven't seen anybody mention this yet - the fuel gauge flash codes are on page DI-661-1 (in my 2001 manual, maybe the pagination is slightly different for 2002). They are about five different codes depending on whether all the segments flash or just one, whether the pattern is a steady flash or groups of two flashes, and whether or not the letter E also flashes together with the bars.

I see the OP mentioned groups of two flashes. Is that with or without the E? Maybe if we start with what the meter is telling us, it will help decide what to do next.

-Chap

usnavystgc and bwilson4web like this.
  16. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK Chap, I will carefully observe the pattern and report it back here. Thanks very much.

-- Randy

17. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's awesome info Chap. Learn something new every day.

18. RHMelen

RHMelen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So I watched the fuel indicator this morning and here's what I see:
    • all bars that indicate the fuel level are engaged in flashing; e.g., if the tank is nearly full and showing 9 bars then all 9 bars flash
    • the "E" at the bottom of the indicator also flashes in unison with the bars
    • the bars+E flash twice in quick succession, then pause for a second or two, then flash twice in quick succession, etc.
    Page 89 of my 2002 Owner's Manual notes only two conditions of "fuel system malfunction" and says I should contact my Toyota dealer:
    1. All the segments blink.
    2. The "E" mark and the segments indicating remaining fuel blink.
    I seem to have the second condition. It feels like what Toyota decided to cover with an extended warranty with Warranty Policy Bulletin No. POL12-05 for combination meters for 2005-2009.

-- Randy

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, so that makes it the inclinometer. There are actually two inclinometers, for the pitch and roll axes, and they are separate components mounted with screws near the combo meter and attached to it by short wires that plug in - you can see them here. They'd be easy to replace if you knew of a source for replacements. (I haven't checked whether Toyota sells them a la carte.) If that worked, it would save hassle with the odometer.

Of course it's hard to know whether the problem being signalled is in those inclinometer gizmos themselves or in some related driver component on the circuit board itself. But at least we know when the dealer said "inclinometer", they were looking up the code in the same book I am.

-Chap

usnavystgc and bwilson4web like this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thinking more on this, I seem to remember that the inclinometer calibration procedure shown in the manual involves a mode where the inclination readings are shown (using the normal odometer digits) and are sensitive enough to show change if you shift enough weight around in the car. This is from memory because it's raining out and I'm too comfortable to go look in the manual again. But using that procedure you might be able to confirm that one of the readings is funky, and maybe even which one.

Maybe I'm wrong about them being sensitive enough to read shifts of weight in the car, but you should certainly be able to exercise the full sensing range by taking the mounting screws out and simply tipping the sensor left/right or fore/aft by hand. That should allow you easily to see if it's one of them or both that's out of whack. If it's one, you could (turn the key off and) swap the two sensor plugs at the meter board. You can't leave it that way because the two sensors have different mounting brackets to match the two axes. But as long as they're loose in your hand, swapping them and comparing readings could tell you whether the problem is with one of the actual sensors (funky reading goes to other axis when plugs swapped) or in the circuitry on the board itself (funky reading stays on same axis).

-Chap

usnavystgc likes this.