1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. NTB

NTB Junior Member

2007 Prius. 116,000 miles.

Original owner. Meticulously maintained. All work done by dealership.

Has been having nagging electrical/hybrid problems for about 25,000 miles.

Combo meter replaced 2 times.

12v battery replaced 5 times, over the lifetime of the car, 2 times in last 25,000 miles.

Now Master Warning, VSC, Check Engine, and Hybrid System Warning lights all on.

Disconnecting then reconnecting 12v battery takes care of it for 1-10 minutes, then back to warning lights on.

Dealership says yet another combo meter is needed, and hybrid battery needs to be replaced. Toyota will not warrant another combo meter, although the last one lasted only 13 months. Dealership says error codes P3000, P3015, and P1259. Dealership says both combo meter and hybrid battery must be replaced because proper diagnostics of hybrid battery can only be done with functioning combo meter in place. Dealership says current price ~4K, but may come down if diagnostics show problem with any part. I am skeptical as car has 116,000 miles and warranty unlikely. Also, I thought diagnostics came through ECM not combo meter, however I may have misunderstood.

I would like to keep this car. I am not looking for a freebie, nor do I think I will get much warranty work since car is old. I just don't want to pay for something that is unnecessary.

Your thoughts, please.

I don't know if I should have started a new thread, but thought I'd post here first.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are in between the rock and a hard place. Need combo to get a new hybrid battery. Not sure why your eating up combo meters. Do you leave the car outside in the sun all day with no tint or windshield shade? Really high constant cabin heat kills batteries and combo's. Feel the dash after its been in the sun all day. Huge windshield. Day I bought my 07 I ordered a heat shield from Prius shop and had the car tinted. Also have a dash mat and combo hood to keep the sun off the combo. And an insulated sun shield I built that sits on the extended package rack that pulls out. So never any direct sunlight hitting that back package area. Have never heard the battery fan. Original owner 95K & combo meter and Hybrid battery both have no issues.

Don't know where you live as you never put it in your profile...handy as some states are CARB and the Hybrid is warranted for 10 years 150 k miles.

Personally I would not put $4000 into a 07. Used Prius are getting rather cheap thanks to cheap gas. Yeah you can jack around with rebuilt batteries etc but most are just stop gap and not last long. Hundreds of threads on here about rebuilt batteries. Nothing beats a new OEM Toyota battery plus it has a warranty. Just alot of money.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call steve at autobeyours and tell him what's going on, he might have some sage advice.