1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by riscky, May 19, 2006.

1. riscky

riscky New Member

Here is the deal my local dealership has count thre THREE new Prius's on the lot. None of them are in the package/color I would ideally desire... but I could see around that. However I have the vibe the dealership isn't that honnest.

For instance... they had a 'used' `05 on the lot... I've been told the dealership has owned it from day one and it was basically a show car Toyota mandated all dealership must have on the lot for six months before they sell it. I saw the same exact car last year on the lot in July. So in theory that car has been sitting on the used car lot for 3 months. I was told that car would go quickly... I stopped by today and was helped a used car guy who told me he sold it Monday, went on sale Friday...

Two of the other three they had on the lot for the last 4-5 weeks! And they are really giving the hard sell. It's very rare we have one car in stock let alone three... good chance it would be gone tomorrow morning... the same old stuff... and the only reason they have those two... traded with another dealership (a few trucks).

Now what really gives me pause is this... I used the vehicle quote request thing from the Toyota May 6th at a dealership 20 miles away and received their quote for a #7 at $28,879.00 (with destination, doc, tax and plate fees... walked in and received a similar qutoe) while the local dearship quoted the #7 at $30,156.49 (with destination, doc, tax and plate fees). About a year ago when I stopped in the dealership they had just about a 2,000 markup on the MSRP, which they still seem to have today. (They have 1 #2 package[hg] and 2 #7 package[nl] on the lot)

Now granted I'm the one tell the story... am I alone in thinking the dealership is sending off some bad voodoo?

Now for the advice... if I'm able to reconcile my feelings with the dealership should I wait (4-6 weeks) for a package 4 or just buy a package 7 off the lot... granted I would also like them to match or come close the the quote as the other dealership... what would you do? Order or wait... I suppose settling for a packege 2 is also an option.

2. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You've told enough to indicate that is probably a dealer you don't want to deal with. Hang around PC for a couple of days and read other people's experiences. Don't go for the instant gratification. It's worth waiting for what you want. If you shop around and are willing to travel a little, you can get what you want at a fair price in a few weeks.

3. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(riscky @ May 19 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]258228[/snapback]</div>
    First off, why settle? You are spending LOTS of money, so get what you want - package AND color. :)

Second, when my wife and I bought our Prius we searched around the country for the best deal that we could find at the time. Granted your situation might very, but there were few financial drawbacks (sales taxes were paid to our "home" state, not the state in which we purchsed). In the end, you will get a good deal, and some "quality" time to get familiar with your Prius when you pick it up. :) :)

If the dealer is not being honest with you BEFORE you have given them your money, what will they do to you AFTER they already have it? :unsure:

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(riscky @ May 19 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]258228[/snapback]</div>
    I have had my '06 pk #7 for about 3 months now. I add that only because I have found the items in the pk # 7 very very useful - especially bluetooth. I also love the DVD/Nav system and the backup camera.

If you are purchasing the car with the intent of keeping it I would highly recommend you go with pk#7 - the additional cost of which over time will be minimal.

As for the dealership - follow your gut. We purchased a Sienna XLE AWD from Greenwich,CT in '04. When we went to buy the Prius they all of a sudden added dealer add on packages and before we knew it the car was $1,500 more than we agreed on when I signed the contract. Long story made short, we went to Toyota City in Mamaroneck, NY (equidistant from my house) and got the Prius at MSRP with no hassles, etc. We have moved to them lock stock and barrel - they are wonderful. So as some one said, it is how they will take care of you after you buy the car - but your gut rarely fails you.

Be patient, get the car you want in the color you want it in - and again - consider going with pk #7.

Best of Luck.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandmayra @ May 19 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]258236[/snapback]</div>
    I second that! Definitely don't settle when you're paying that much $ for a car. I sure didn't, even though it meant I had a 5.5 month wait to get it. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 19 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]258244[/snapback]</div>
    In total agreement. I got a pk #8 because I wanted the Navigation, Bluetooth, reverse camera as well as the leather interior. I love the seats, find the reverse camera extremely helpful, use the Bluetooth every day or every other day, and use the Navigation on average once a week. But the decision is ultimately up to you, depending on your wants, needs and finances. :)

6. riscky

riscky New Member

I've been staying away from the instant gratification, but I see them looking at me every day... or just about.

I've had my current car for just about 10 years now so I plan on keeping it for awhile. I've read more then a few post about how bad the Nav system is so I'm a little iffy on wanting/needing the nav system. As for the bluetooth I can't stand cell phones, but that could change... I've been thinking of going for the full package just because well... I'm going to have it for awhile and I'll have room to grow :) However, the only other reason I would want a #7 at this point in time are the HIC's

Oh and I would settle for a #2 (but it is one of my top three color choices), I want air bags!

Chances are I'm going to wait... but the biggest reason I've been considering the lot... I love AC and my AC just went... thankfully it hasn't been that warm yet.

Thanks all.

7. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Get what you want, at a dealer you feel good about. From what you say, you'd be settling twice - once for the car and again for the dealer. That's not good.

It's too much money to spend on something that isn't exactly what you want.

[Just read your latest post. All I wanted was the side curtain air bags, but the more I learned about the Prius and the various packages, the more I liked package #6. I could do without the Bluetooth - my cell phone is for very, very occasional use, and never when driving, hands-free or not - but the other goodies are cool. Look at the different packages, look at what you think is important, and don't settle for less.]

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

If you don't just love it, don't buy it. :mellow:

9. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

They will give you the pkg 7 right off the lot for the exact price you will get when you click the "Build your Toyota" section on the official Toyota web site if they are an honest dealership. Be aware, that sales tax, floor mats, Lisc/Registraition fees and document fees will be extra. Thats your true 'out the door' price. get the xtra warranty IF you will keep the car more than 3 years. Drive off the lot , skip the wait and rest assured you got a fair deal.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why would you consider dealing with these people at all? AND buying a car that is not your first choice?

If you're willing to wait 4-6 weeks, order from someone else.

If you're willing to take a different color/package than you want.....look at all of the other dealers within a 300 mile radius and buy from them.

I think if you get involved with these guys you may regret it.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

This sounds *so* lame to my ears ..
    Package compromise --- maybe
    Color compromise -- Never !

I get it from my kids all the time. "ooh, a red one ! Nice silver one ! That blue is beautiful."
    "Tell us again Dad why you got the green one ?"

As for considering a lousy dealer -- That would take me about 0.00003 seconds to decide about.

12. riscky

riscky New Member

Today it came to an end... I went with the other dealership... and I did settle... a bit... I'm going with a "pine" #7... pine definitely wasn't my first or second choice but the dealer is getting one in next week and they will try and trade with some of the other local dealerships in hopes I might find one higher up on my color choice list... I doubt it will happen but I'll spend more time inside so I can live with it.

Now time to find some nice new toys for my Prius.

Best of all... they didn't try and push the extras... no extendant waranty push... and the only one who tried to push the paint/fabric stuff was the finance guy...

13. eanda9000

eanda9000 New Member

There are a lot of ways to look at this type of thing:

I went to Fort Bend Toyota in Sugar Land, TX and bought a package #1. There were two other prius's both #3's. They had been marked up above sticker from both the distributor in the way of little adds and the dealer in the way of tint and overpriced leather. The car I bought was still at sticker but was scheduled for price raising features. Bought it Johnny on the spot. Had the car that day, no waiting etc. My car cost me 20200.00 with sales tax minus the tax credit. That is an unbelievable number for the amount of car I got. Time waiting is like money uninvested, there is an opportunity cost that is being lost. It is different for all of us.

I then used the approximately 2000.00 I saved in dealer markups and tinted the windows for $200 with the best tint money can buy and put in an XM radio via FM inputs for 230.00 installed. I then bought a 200 dollar verizon phone that can do navigation (quite well). The rest I invested.

The money I saved from getting a #9 package is paying for a 2 week vacation at the number one rated resort on St.Croix for two, roughly 3000 off season. The rest is invested but will probably be spent on vacation of something stupid.

Now, I understand the Prius’s at this moment are not depreciating since there is a high demand. If this is true then it is probably better to go high end on the car as the money is free. I do not think that this trend will last. In a few years, when the next generation comes out our prius’s will take a hit once the production issues are resolved. Gas prices drive demand in our case and they can change dramatically .

Money you don't spend on your car can earn interest and do things like accelerate your retirement. If you are already set from a savings point you can do whatever you want. If you have goals financially, then there are tradeoffs. I fall into the latter. Without a question the high-end features are worth the money, the question what is your opportunity cost. All this said, money spent on a prius is the smartest money you can spend on a car, www.intellichoice.com. You really can not go wrong.

14. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Simple decision: Do you like the car? Can you afford the price? If yes, buy the car, regardless of dealer. You aren't signing a marriage contract. There are dealers everywhere for service, warranty work, or whatever. I haven't seen my dealer (50 miles away) in over 9000 miles. If the above answers are "no" or "not sure", keep looking. There are lots of dealers, and even more Prius (s?) out there. I bought mine the same day I registered on carsdirect.com. 3rd choice color, but I wanted Option 6. To me, waiting seems kinda dumb. When I got there they jacked the price $500 for pin stripes, and wheel well/door edge moldings. You can't win them all. Over 10 years +/- $500 is not that big a deal.
    P.S. I love the car.