1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advise needed on a used Prius V

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by smokeGTI, Jul 11, 2024 at 7:06 AM.

1. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi fellows,
    I used to owned 4 Prius gen 2 and one gen 3 before, and I am looking to purchase a Prius V.
    Is any owner can share the experience of maintenance ? Durability of the Li-ion HV battery, recondition and replacing cost ? ABS issue ?

TIA
    George

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The US market v uses a NiMh traction battery. That said, our 2012 at 60,000 miles has been 3,000 mile oil and filter changes, tires at 40,000 miles, bi-annual brake caliper slider lubrication, and two 12V auxiliary batteries. Plus the firmware recall. Faultless.

smokeGTI and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also: see egr and head gasket issue

Mendel Leisk and smokeGTI like this.
  4. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds pretty much like Original Prius, as far as I know there are indeed 2 kinds of traction batteries, but there a lot more Li-ion version around here in HK (official dealer import), So buying a high mileage
    Thanks for the info's.
    BTW, is there a way to tell which kind of battery is with the car ?
    I think I will try to avoid the one with Li-ion battery. As they are double the price of Ni-Mh here.

5. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    IIRC, all 3-row Prius v/a/+ have Li-Ion batteries in/under the front center console and the 2-row versions have the Ni-MH under where the 3rd row seats would have been located. I don't know if 2-row versions were available with Li-Ion batteries.