1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advise on Purchasing 2013 Toyota Prius c 5dr Hatchback One

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Rockell, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Rockell

Rockell New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i'm considering buying a 2013 Toyota Prius C 5dr Hatchback One.

It has about 105,000 miles on it, with a pretty well detailed carfax service record. I was also planning on buying a few after market parts, to upgrade to be able to have cruise control and an armrest in the center console.

Is 105,000miles too much for a 2013? Appreciate any reccomendations.

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mileage is ok. I think average miles driven per year is like 12-15k. So it's a tad high, but nothing I'd be concerned about. You can add that cruise control - and that center console? I have no clue. Suppose you could rip one out of a junkyard and give it a shot?

Do check to see where the vehicle was first sold. Places like the DPRC and other CARB states have a 10 year/ 150k mile manufacturers warranty on the high voltage battery. If however it was first sold in a state like my own, then your already out of warranty. Keep this in mind - there are tons of threads here with people who have purchased a used Prius and then dumped another $2500 for a new high voltage battery months later. Only to get mad at the car and ultimately Toyota for something that isn't anyone's fault but their own.

Do be prepared. If your budget is so tight that you won't have a couple thousand sitting back to replace that High Voltage battery when it fails, then don't buy the car. Will it die? Yes. Will it die soon? Maybe and that's the thing you need to be prepared to face.

Personally - there are a few here who will tell you buying a used Prius is fine.. Me? Never & no way.

#2 dubit, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    michael.sfo likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that's too many miles in general. Dubit made good points about the first-sale and warranty.

Personally I have to wonder if it is worth upgrading the car- that all depends on the deal you get. I would totally go for it if the car itself was priced right, but it's usually pretty easy to find another one and it may already have the right features.

I don't trust carfax for much. It's nice to have and it can fill gaps, but it can be gamed too. Use your eyes and ears and fingertips, check this car out up close.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    100k is a little high for 5 years, maybe all highway?

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have 106k miles on my 2012. I purchased it in Jan of 2013 and it had 300 miles on it.