1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by robertlee919, Aug 24, 2007.

1. robertlee919

robertlee919 New Member

I'm only 19 not experienced in the auto audio at all, but Ive done a little research and this is the setup I would like to try on my 2006 Prius #3... your input options advise would be greatly appreciated especially before I spend all my moo-la

On the factory stereo
    First off 2 sets of Infinity Reference 5010cs 5-1/4" component speaker system power range 2-75 watts RMS (225 watts peak power) for front and back replacement

I'm planning on getting a Hifonics Zeus ZXi 8006 5-channel amplifier for those 4 along with my sub
    ZXi 8006 740-Watts A/B-Class 4 x 55-Watts + 200-Watts x 1-ch RMS @ 4-Ohms

My sub is a Q power deluxe 15" - 90 oz Magnet - 1500 Watts to go with that a
    Hifonics Zeus ZXi 4006 A/B-Class 1 x 400-Watts RMS @ 4-Ohms and that would be along with the 200watts from the 5 channel (I'm wondering if I should just go back to my 10' 1000 watt sub for space)

and for vibration damping I'm thinking 40sqft of second skin Damplifier or eDead but I cant find any eDead for sale right now

I already have the 400watt amp and the Qpower sub but nothing else I think the rest should cost around $500-700 not to bad right?

Thanks for reading and let me know please if this looks good or should I consider other options

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e

3. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Aug 24 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]501625[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't worry about a relay for the 12V power to the amps. All amps activate with accessory power, so when the car is on, the amps are on, and when the car is off, the amps are off. A fuse should do it. You may want to invest in a power distribution block, if you're going to be running 2 amps.

Bruce, I notice that you're thinking about a 5 channel amp. If you're going that route, you should consider a 5-channel amp that has a more powerful sub channel, rather than using a separate amp for the sub. Otherwise, get a decent 4-channel amp for your front and rears, and then your mono amp for the sub. You will not be able to combine the 5th channel plus your mono amp to power your sub. It's going to be one or the other.

I don't know how much you care about weight, but a 15" sub is gonna be pretty heavy along with the box you're going to be using with it. If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a smaller higher-end subwoofer, like Focal, Xtant, or JL Audio. It'd be a lot more efficient, power/weight-wise, plus you'll get far better sound quality than the Q Powers.

5. robertlee919

robertlee919 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 24 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]501710[/snapback]</div>
    Well i already have one 1/2 channel amp so i guess i just need a 4 channel then. That Q power I got for a great price is why i have it same with the amp but id like to see how it sounds but i do think I'm going to get another or put my old one in its a Hifonics BX10D4 but i only have one. Do you recommend Hifonics amps and subs? I already have one hifonics amp so I was figuring id get another(a 4 channel) Ive been told its not good to have different brands of amps. I dont know if thats true but that was my plan have 2 hif amps for front back and sub. Thanks for all the help

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Honestly, I have no experience with Hifonics. Another message board I'm on seems to put them in the same class as Alpine. Good bang for the buck, good power, but lacking in sound quality (SQ). It doesn't hurt anything to mix brands of amps. I was using a Kenwood and Rockford combo for quite some time before I finally got the DLS. Amps in the same price range as Hifonics will probably have similar results. Depending on how crazy you are about mobile audio, you may want something a little higher end.

It sounds like you're just starting out. It doesn't hurt to try other amps. The best bet is to check out the Buy & Sell, or if there's a local car/audio forum that you know of, they usually have a Buy/Sell section for you to peruse. I started off small and slowly worked my way through the entry level stuff to the higher end equipment. It was a good educational experience. All my equipment except my sub was purchased through a forum buy/sell. There's usually plenty of experienced veterans on those forums that can give you some good advice, as well.

Once you really get going, you'll want to keep upgrading your system until you have what you feel is the best sound for you... although, that may never happen! Things really get interesting when you realize that you get what you pay for in car audio. I had the Infinity 605cs components, along with an Infinity Kappa sub, and I thought it sounded good enough to keep forever... Then I met up with someone to buy an amp and heard their system with Focal components and subs, and I was completely and utterly blown away by the sound quality. Arggh... too many addictions to feed! :D

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hifonics are a durable & fairly gutsy amp....you could do way worse.
    As usual, Presto is right on the mark.....don't bother with a 4 channel plus a 5 channel
    amp. Just do either a good 5 channel or a good 4 channel plus a mono amp for your sub.
    Since you already have a decent mono amp, just get a clean 4x50watt or better amp for
    the mids & highs.....Alpine, Diamond, JL Audio, Xtant, Phoenix Gold....all good names....try
    eBay for a good deal if you're doing the install yourself.
    Check out some other components for mid's & highs too.....listen to CDT, Diamond, JL...also
    can be had on the cheap from eBay.
    Use a beefy single 10 or 12 inch sub (JL W3 or W6 or Diamond D6) on your 400 watt mono amp....you'll
    be happy.....and not piss off too many old farts in the process.
    Good Luck!
    Geo

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't try to run a high output amp off the standard wiring. Prius wiring is minimalist to reduce weight, you will need to run straight off the battery or there willbe too much voltage drop therefore a relay and heavy fuse should be used to optimise the amps. Don't run the system at high levels unless in ready mode or the lead acid battery will run down quickly. In ready mode the ICE will start to chage the battery as required. If the car is in ready mode an accessable to the public it would be a good idea to lock the brake pedal and park brake pedal from being pressed which will prevent the car being put in gear. Wouldn't that be dreadful? You may need a block that can be locked under the brake pedal. This would only be nessesary if people, like judges are getting into the car.

9. robertlee919

robertlee919 New Member

Does anyone have some good links to a speaker replacement guide and/or a guide to putting in sound deadening stuff? I'm wondering about the placement in the very back I'm not sure where all to go in the prius. Thanks again for everyone's help its greatly appreciated.