1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

adyieldmanager.com is slooooooow

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by qbee42, Aug 17, 2008.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    PC is slowing down again, and the culprit is once again the advertising. Every time I get a slow page load, it turns out the browser is waiting for ad.yieldmanager.com. I understand the need for advertising, but the ad company should have a responsive server, or the page load shouldn't be held hostage. I hope they get their act together.

Tom

2. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The slow loading of the ads is really starting to annoy me. I try to be a team player and support the ad revenue for this site, but if it doesn't improve I'm going to block them. Sorry Danny.

Tom

3. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ditto for slow...

I hit stop loading when it stalls, then go. It usually loads right up after that, PITA though.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've contacted the ad company that represents us, and will see what I can do to have the ads load last on the page.

It's bothering me, too...

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Danny. I don't like to complain, but sometimes the annoyance gets to me.

Tom

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't been able to access the site for the past 24 hours due to this. I finally shut off scripting so that I could get here again. It's locking up the browser on two different machines on different OS'es. I was resetting my modem it was so bad!This is counterproductive for the advertiser as I'm seeing no adds at all now...

7. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Danny! Maybe that's why I have not been able to get into PC through IE7 since this AM. I finally got through using Firefox this evening. I have since tried IE7 on my other computers with the same error result. I'm running on a dedicated T1 with 1/2 of it dedicated to the internet. PC is the only site with the problem. An empty PC frame with the toolbar displays, nothing is active on the frame or toolbar, after waiting for several minutes, I did a refresh. Low and behold, every time I would do a refresh I would get a new ad page and it would hang there until I would do another refresh and get another ad. Then, when I just saw qbee42's post, I realized it was probably the same issue. I really need to use IE7 as my default browser since some of the sites that I use daily are not supported under Firefox.
    Thank you in advance for any enlightenment that you can give me. It's just a pain having to go back and forth between FF3 & IE7. But at least I can get in. I was going into withdrawal. And a TRIPLE THANKS for the great job you're doing here on PC.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seems better today... I don't have access to IE7, but can someone test for me?

9. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is always the possibility that it has something to go with filters or security software, except PC is the only site affected under IE7. It started to fail on my other computers at the same time, and it coincides with qbee42's post and I didn't change anything on the end although I am det up for auto updates. Still it's only PC that I having the problem with. If anyone out there has a clue I would appreciate any suggestions.

10. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The real problem is that the page below the ad will not load until the ad is finished loading. Is this how the forum software works (top to bottom) or does the ad script used by the ad serving company cause the page load to wait? It would not surprise me if they have developed a script that halts page load until the viewer sees their ad.

If you solve this problem, it won't matter how long the ads take to load.

And yes, it is annoying :)

My 2¢

11. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  12. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, it is not any better. Still brings my IE7 systems to a halt if I let the script run. I can't even properly reply to messages here because I have to turn off scripting to get Priuschat to load. I've got it set on "prompt" right now and if I say yes to the script it locks up. Clicking on two extra dialog boxes on every page on the net is getting old really fast. (This post will appear as single text paragraph as a result of having all the scripting off...arggg.) I'm not sure if the problem is that Priuschat won't finish loading once adyieldmanager gets in the way...or if adyieldmanager is somehow corrupting things more directly. It seems to stop all or nearly all communication with the net until I kill the window. It might be causing trouble with my cable ISP since they seem to be shutting off my modem connection at times after adyieldmanager locks it up. (Shutting down windows or PC does not always fix it. I've had to unplug the modem's power for several minutes.) No viruses or hijacks on my machines and they are behind a router.

13. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've been having this problem for weeks. It happens both on my PC at work and at home. When a page stalls, I click on Refresh and that usually fixes it. Sometimes I have to hit Refresh two or three times.

I also was unable to see any posts at all yesterday.

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, I think I know what the problem was. I tried adding a command to the javascript to "defer" the loading of the ads until the whole page loaded, but for some reason that caused everything to explode in IE. I just undid that and I can access the site fully now in IE7 under Windows XP.

Let me know if that works for you, as well.

15. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mine just waits, lower left bar says "done" loadind and freezes, no buttons on the screen are active. Refresh will bring up an ad, and each refresh a new ad, no PC at all, total screen under browser toolbar is ad. Only fails in IE7. Thank goodness got Firefox.

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just called Right Media/Yahoo (the folks behind yieldmanager) and left a message with their technical support. Hopefully they can shed some light on why it's loading so slowly. I'll let everyone know if I actually get a response back.

17. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Danny: Whatever happened IE7 just started working again! That's just within the last hour or so. Thank you for pushing the right button, whomever's it was.

18. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep!

PriusChat on Internet Explorer 7 on Vista SP1 working here :).

19. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! The page actually loaded with scripting enabled. You got it working. I'm not noticing an ad bar at the top of the page...but that is fine with me. :D

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Sharp Ad Sucks

While we're on the subject of the ads creating problems (I was unable to access PC from yesterday afternoon until this morning) ...

That Sharp ad that ran across the top of the page was the most annoying PC ad ever (or since I started frequenting PC in February 2007). If you moused over the right side of the Sharp ad, the ad would pop-up. And since the right side of the ad was positioned right below the "View New Posts" link, it would pop-up frequently.