1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aero Hubcaps make a much bigger difference when on full EV power at higher speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sal43, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is a very interesting article about why aero hubcaps don't make much of a difference on ICE cars but make a much bigger difference on EVs. If you are able to drive on purely Electric Power during your commute at high speeds on a flat or slightly downhill road or freeway, then the aero hubcaps should make a big difference. I think the aero hubcaps probably make a HUGE difference on Prius Plugins especially for people who use electric propulsion on the highway. IF your ICE is always running at higher speeds then taking off the hubcaps might not be a huge hit to your fuel economy.
    If you are able to coast on electric power for miles at a time on flat or slightly downhill sections of the freeway, then taking off the aero hubcaps probably reduces your fuel economy by a significant amount.
    Here's Why Aerodynamic Wheel Covers Don't Come On Every New Car

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my plug in would only go 2 miles at effective speeds :p

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, you didn't tell me there was going to be math involved.

Instead of trying to figure it out. I'll just hide my disappointment that evidently getting Aero Hubcaps isn't going to help me.