1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aerodynamics demo on the road

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Autosmiler, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Autosmiler

Autosmiler New Member

Driving across 6 states this past week, I had the time and opportunity to experience things flying at me at high speeds, which helped me visualize the aerodynamics of this car in real time. I know the Prius was designed to be the most aerodynamic, but I'm not sure if these observations are Prius-specific.

1) I was in the left lane on a New Mexico highway preparing to pass a truck a few feet in front of me in the right lane when one of his back right tires exploded! The larger pieces stayed in the right lane, but I watched the smaller pieces come toward me and swoop up the hood, up the windshield, and over the car. No scratches, no damage to my car at all.

2) A pickup truck in front of me in Arizona hit a bird. A burst of feathers flew at me and floated up and around the same path as the tire pieces. Bless that poor bird that taught me aerodynamics!

3) Let's not forget the almighty insects. I noticed that the little moth-like creatures who happen across me at 65+ MPH will survive in my airstream only if they approach at eye-level or above of my windshield. But the poor fools who don't... make short vertical streaks. I think insects on other cars I've driven long distances i in don't streak so nicely, just stick or something. Sorry if this is getting a bit... too detailed... for some readers. Just sharing my thoughts.

4) I've decided that I am extremely lucky to not have any scratches or dings on my hood after this 2,000+ journey through cornfields, deserts, and mountains! But during my search for "aerodynamics" on PC to see if anyone else mentioned similar observations, I was convinced that I'd better get a clear bra or something ASAP. (Perhaps it might even cushion the blow for brave bugs...)

P.S. That's a picture of Fawkes on top of a mountain, looking surprisingly clean for the wear

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Iv noticed that at high speeds 45 mph plus when its raining I don’t need the rear wiper.
    I never go faster than 55 unless I really realy have to, so yes 45 is high speed to me.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the rear wiper isn't really needed except at low speeds. The only time I had the rear wiper on "HI" was on two occasions where we experienced heavy downpours. Most of the time, even "LO" is too often.

4. BlckPrius

BlckPrius New Member

mmm. your car looks good. OFF topic, Do you have more pictures of your Black Prius??? Outside and Inside :p

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Autosmiler @ Aug 7 2006, 01:22 AM) [snapback]298889[/snapback]</div>
    We had a great time observing aerodynamics and bugs on a long trip last summer. Sometimes we could tell what the big ones had for lunch. And when we stopped, *more* bugs were having smorgasbord from the crusty remains. Anybody wanna see pictures? :unsure:

6. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Autosmiler @ Aug 6 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]298889[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a death beam radiating out the front of your car? I'm never letting you get in my six! Whew! What a ride.

7. molgrips

molgrips Member

Even when it's raining, the rear windscreen actually gets DRIER. This is impressive, never seen it on any other hatchback. Must be due to the lack of vortex in the boot area of the car. More square-ended cars must be towing a big low-pressure area behind them...?

8. Autosmiler

Autosmiler New Member

Speaking of rain, I also went thru a ton of heavy rainfall which probably helped to clean off the collection of you-know-what. I forgot to mention that I was surprised at having such poor visibility in the rain! It might be the type of rain + the speed, but is it possible the angle of the windshield allows water to blow upward to smear the surface more than other cars?

I agree with the back staying relatively dry in rain... for which I am grateful, with such a puny wiper :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlckPrius @ Aug 7 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]299003[/snapback]</div>
    Tnx! Can you access my gallery? I have a couple others I can add to there, but none so far of the interior. It needs a bit of a cleaning before I'll take pix of it hehe. I'll try and do it soon if you really want. Send me a PM if you can or can't see the pix in my gallery.

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Use Rain-X. It will make wipres unnecessary at speeds over about 45mph unless it is a real downpour.