1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aerodynamic's importance. Whoa!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been getting 47 mpg regularly on my Prius. A few months ago I cracked the driver side mirror and the plastic shell on back came off. Around the same time I got new tires but my mileage annoyingly dropped to 43 mpg. I assumed the tires made the difference and just accepted it.

Last week I finally got my mirror replaced but they forgot the plastic shell on the back. Still 43mpg.

A few days ago they snapped on the plastic shell and bingo! Back to 47mpg every day!

The little bit of air drag created by the back of the mirror was shaving 5mpg off my mileage!

I was quite surprised that such a small thing could make such a big difference.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If you have a road where this can be done safely (and the driver not ticketed) you might try cruise-controlled round trips with the mirrors out and folded back. My guess is that they should not be worth more than a half mpg, but a careful test sounds like a good idea.

3. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius