1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aerodynamics

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by eastercat, Apr 3, 2004.

1. eastercat

eastercat New Member

I didn't know if anyone had heard about this, but I thought I'd share.
    Some of the other Green party members who were tabling in Denton, TX were talking to this fellow who managed to up the mpg on his Honda (CRX I believe) to 60 mpg. He simply made the vehicle more aerodynamic by doing things like putting a cover on the wheels. One of the Greens also had this pamphlet showing different configurations of a truck and which were more aerodynamically efficient.
    Even if the big three are unwilling to take the time to make a hybrid car, what's to stop them from making more aerodynamic vehicles? If this one person can up his car's mileage, these companies have no excuses.

Still looking for a silver BI,
    Esther
    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    president, or that we are to stand by the president
    right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but
    is morally treasonable to the American public.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

2. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Improving aerodynamics will help with fuel economy, but not to the extent the CRX owner was claiming. I would bet that either he had other modifications to the engine and transmission, or this wasn't his average MPG, but rather a one time high measurement (like down hill over the continental divide). The best way to improve vehicle efficiency is to make people realize that excessive engine power is unnecessary. Hybrids work well because they optimize the engine size to the vehicle, and supplement it with electric power for those times when extra power is desirable.

3. siai

siai Junior Member

Aerodynamics is a real science. The new Prius achieves one of the lowest drag coefficient numbers of any production car and still retains a "normal" appearance. If you are going for a total aerodynamic package, the shape you see on the old GM EV-1 or the Honda Insight with the fully skirted rear wheels and the narrower rear track is necessary. However this leads to some problem in packaging people (both were two seaters) and real world operating problems. (how would you like to pack the skirts full of snow?) Toyota spent alot of time managing airflow around and under the car to achieve a balance of function and low drag. The Prius' 0.26 CD is extremely low and could be easily negatively affected by someone adding or changing something thinking that they are improving the aerodynamics. Just a question---for example, how many people would know that the little plastic tabs located at the ends of the rocker panels just in front of the rear tires are an important part of the aerodynamic package the moves underbody air around the rear tire and out the side of the car? I don't think much can be done by an individual in this area. Just my two cents 8)