1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After 3 Prii, I finally said good bye. (Not to PC though!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Aaron Vitolins, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After 3 Prii, I bought a ford C-hybrid. My Prius started burning oil, occasionally rough starts, and a small amount of coolant loss.

It was so hard saying good bye, but I did.
    On the plus side my C-max has tons of power, tech, drives wonderfully and gets 40 mpg. No oil consumption problems on ford hybrid thankfully!

My C-max has had all the recalls, and its transmission rebuilt by ford. Early cmaxes trans axles had some bearing problems. So I was on board when I found my now Cmax at a ford dealer.

I'll still be on here, I love you guys and could never leave!

P. S I still have a project Prius (2004) cheers!

m.wynn likes this.
  2. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some pictures!

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk and m.wynn like this.
  3. i<3theventurafwy

i<3theventurafwy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your 2012 started burning oil?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! congrats, how many miles on her? all the best!(y)

5. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it started around 110,000 miles. Used the best oil I could buy and changed it every 4-5k miles. So sad

6. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has 98,000 the Prius had 126,000. Cool thing, the Cmax keeps track of miles driven without the engine. My Cmax has driven 39,000 miles in pure EV! It will cruise on the highway with the engine shut down, even while going up a slight incline. The lithium polymer battery has nice power.

m.wynn likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've heard great things about them, and have always wondered why sales are so poor.

8. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of people never even knew it existed. And when they might have head of it, it was somthing negative like one of the many EPA mpg rating adjustment. Remember the 47,47,47 mpg... Now its like 37,42,40 or something like that haha

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even so, it is either the fault of ford or their dealers for slow sales of such a fantastic vehicle.

Zythryn and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    IMHO, people get overly worried about burning oil. The Consumer Report study last year concluded that excessive oil burning is not a sign of engine trouble, not a predictor of future failure, nor is it a symptom of anything. Rather, it is what it is -- the engine is burning oil. It's like a slow air leak in a tire. Shouldn't be happening but if you keep up with it, its not a big deal.

So then it comes down to money. You are having to spend money on oil that you shouldn't have to spend. If you are burning a quart every 5,000 miles, and drive 20,000 miles per year (which is way over the average American's annual mileage), that means you have had to buy four quarts of oil that you shouldn't have had to buy if the engine weren't burning oil. At WalMart, Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil sells for $7.68 (free two day shipping!), meaning an annual extra cost of $30.72. At least around here, that's less than a parking ticket.

Lightning Racer likes this.
  11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw one on the road today and I was wondering why there are so few on the road, when owners (in my small sample size) seem to love them so much.

Just curious....does your Cmax tell you the fuel economy when running in electric mode?

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  12. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More of a head gasket worry more than oil use. Many 3rd gen cars with high mileage (some with not so high) have been having head gasket failure. I've been around the block, I've seen many, even my sister had her head gasket blow.

Toyota really let down the strong Prius name of rock solid reliability with the 1.8, that's a crummy engine if I ever saw one. I adore Prii, have for years and still do! Toyota just missed the mark, and sadly years down the road they will most certainly loose customers because of it. They all ready are.

13. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, it just says EV and maxes out the instantaneous gauge. This car has sooo many screens and economy gauges, even driving coaches! Almost overwhelming! It has KW out put, engine temp, RPM gauge, even the amount of electricity your accessories are using.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a lot of high mileage gen 3's on the road with no oil burning issues. it's hard to put a number or percent on the bad ones.

15. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And don't even get me started on the EGR system!

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  16. i<3theventurafwy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh this is confusing me. Now I don't know whether to look at the Ford too. :(

bisco likes this.
  17. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't drive a ton, or drive a ton at high speed, change oil often, you'll be fine. I drove 35,000 miles in one year. And I don't drive for my job (crazy)

18. i<3theventurafwy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay haha. It's hard to know since you seemed so enthusiastic about your Ford lol. I don't drive crazy numbers and definitely don't like to speed (I always aimed for gas mileage even in my old non hybrid), so maybe it's best not to doubt.

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've got 140k on my 2012. It burns some oil but not too a degree I care about. I've never had to add oil in between changes. Since I drive a lot I chose the Prius over the C-Max. 50 mpg is a lot better than 37 mpg.

Friend has a C-Max. It appears the car has lot more creature comforts. It's a much better place to be in. However, Ford Sync is just as poor an implementation as Entune. There's the higher cost for better seats, real leather, power lift gate, etc. On the Energi model, there is no trunk space at all.

I was impressed by the C-Max but it comes at a higher cost and lower efficiency.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. i<3theventurafwy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I care far more about cost and efficiency than I do about creature comforts. Thank you for making this clear.

CR94 and scona like this.