1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After accidental press on panic button, keyfob no longer starts alarm beep

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toyotally04, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last week, I accidentally pressed the smart keyfob's panic button. The car alarm went off late at night for quite a while.

Flummoxed, I tried pressing any combination of buttons on the keyfob to shut off the alarm sound.

Finally, I entered the car, inserted the keyfob, powered the car, shut the door... or something like that. And the car alarm stopped.

But since then, I don't hear any beeps or see any lights go off when I press the keyfob to set the car alarm. So I'm never certain whether my car is ever locked or secured with the alarm.

I don't know what to search for on Google or in these forums to figure out how to set the Prius car alarm to normal functioning, where I can see the signal lights flicker and hear the car beeps.

Help, anyone?
    Thanks,
    Toyotally04

Priuslover09 likes this.
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The implication here is that the car still locks, is that true?

If that is not true, the first thing I would check is to see if you notice the red LED light in the right corner light up when you press any button. If you don't see any light, you may need to replace the battery (CR2032) in the fob (with one that measures 3.3 V) especially if the old battery voltage is 2.9 V or less. A stuck switch will flatten the battery very quickly.

The next thing to check is the panic button on the fob, to make sure it is not stuck in the 'on' position. Unfortunately, as the OEM fob is glued together, it will involve either splitting it open and re-gluing it, or transferring the circuit board and RFID chip to a new 3rd party case (that snaps together) or using an Exacto (or similar) knife to cut the rubber cover over the switches.

What you are trying to achieve is cleaning the switch and its contacts. Otherwise, you may need to purchase a new fob and replace the existing one.

If the switch was stuck 'on', you may need to replace the battery (CR2032) in the fob (with one that measures 3.3 V) especially if the old battery voltage is 2.9 V or less.

Priuslover09 likes this.
  3. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This happened to me went I rented A 2005 ford escape hyrbid in 2006 went I rent to universal studios and Disney world for the second time.

4. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I think I figured it out.

Prior to the panic button incident, I had already changed my battery days earlier.

But I remember that particular night, I might have dropped the keyfob. So today, I took the keyfob apart, unscrewed the battery casing. Pushed the battery in tighter fit. Carefully position the O-ring. And then tightened the battery case more firmly.

And whaddyaknow? Viola! It worked.

dolj likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on figuring it out. I like easy fixes.

fotomoto likes this.
  6. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When I had the problem I had the key battery replaced and the panic button replaced on the rental car