1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After all these recalls, will you still buy a Toyota product in the future?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 4G63, Feb 18, 2010.

1. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry if there's a similar post, but I've heard so many people say they're staying from a Toyota. Even from someone who've been owning a Toyota for 12 years and the car still runs perfect. Just wanna get a general idea...

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I won't buy (another new) one because I'm sick of having to deal with the service department. The recalls aren't really that much of a big deal. At least I can bring my Evo to AMS (or Strictly Modified, or APM, or...) - I HAVE to bring the Prius to the dealer.

3. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In truth, once Toyota emerges from this witch hunt, their cars will likely be even better than before. For a while they'll be extra-extra-EXTRA careful.

For almost my entire lifetime Toyota and Honda have been tops in every list. Ford, Nissan and Mazda vary in their precise order, but always appear in the same list. In other words, Japanese cars are almost universally the best on the market, and have remained so for decades. Hyundai is a comparatively recent addition to that list, but is showing promise.

Based on that history, I'll stick with the Japanese for the forseeable future. Which *precise* make will depend on the car, and that year's ratings.

But Toyota will remain at or near the top of my list.

Chuck

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    of course I would, and I also intend to.

5. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All of this negative publicity is causing damage to Toyota. I am certain that Toyota is working furiously on damage control. They will probably emerge stronger than ever.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Of course I will! Have you looked at the recall history for domestic auto manufacturers?

1 person likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not concerned about vehicle recalls. I'd be concerned if a significant problem existed and the manufacturer took no action.

My dad is taking delivery of a 2010 Prius V with nav. His dealer didn't offer a very good trade-in on his 2007 w/15K miles, so I am going to buy that car from him. I'll be back to three Toyota hybrids again, and this is tangible evidence of my confidence in Toyota and its products.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO, right now the Prius is the 2nd best car sold in the USA. If I had to replace my V-AT today I'd start shopping for another V-AT tomorrow.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Gray, do you have another dealer nearby?
    I have worked with two, and they both have been exceptional.

To the question, I am as likely to buy another Toyota as I was before the recalls.
    I will buy another Toyota IF it is the most fuel efficient vehicle that can carry what I need it to (2-4 people and plenty of cargo).
    Right now, it is looking like they are going to loose that to Nissan. Possibly even Chevy (although I have my doubts there).

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    4G63 are you still using a Windows OS? Monthly on the second tuesday, they have a recall of defective subsystems which are replaced by newer, slightly less defective subsystems.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday]Patch Tuesday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

By comparison, the car companies do very well.

2 people like this.
  11. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Would I buy another toyota is a tricky question. I wouldn't buy a non-hybrid toyota. These recalls are not witch hunts (the prius recall is another story). 34 people have died from the accelerator issue and I don't know how many injuries and accidents. Now it's on to steering failure? how is that quality?

I remember almost 2 years ago reading of people saying their toyotas accelerating out of control. Every car co has recalls, hopefully this is a wake up call to toyota that they can't just rely on their reputation for quality. They actually have to keep working to keep the quality high and not have these massive recalls.

The Prius has proven itself reliable and ths "surging" while braking never occured to me (I have to drive over several rail lines and uneven surfaces) and has not been atributed to any deaths or injuries. so in short buy a corolla or camry...no.. buy a prius or othe toyota hybrid...yes

1 person likes this.
  12. timstorey

timstorey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We take our Prius to a local shop that has Toyota trained mechanics. Cost about the same and the owner is a reasonable individual.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Count me in the No category. At least not at the present time. I have already purchased one non-Toyota car since I purchased my Prius; depending on how Toyota responds, the Prius could be my one and only Toyota.

14. Cornellius

Cornellius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YES I would buy without any doubt!!!! :thumb:toyota rules!!!

15. PriusBleuForEver

PriusBleuForEver New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would definitly do without a doubt! All their current problems must be the other side of the medal as they became number one. This must be the price of gaining the number one spot. Now, they have a clear message to get back to their number one strenght: reliability and robust cars and they'll be able to keep the number one :rockon: position worldwide.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Technically, the beneficiaries of 34 people have hopes of blaming Toyota for the deaths of their loved ones. That is not the same as 34 people actually dieing of a manufacturing defect. But I suppose it is unpopular to kill all the lawyers, even Shakespeare failed

1 person likes this.
  17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is my first Toyota and I will definitely buy another in the future.

I agree with others here that after all of this settles down and the facts are known, if possible with all of the overhyped media and politics involved, I think Toyota quality will be stronger than ever. I think this was a good wakeup call for them.

18. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, yes, and hella yes. :D

19. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I intend to have my Gen II for a very long time. Same with my Odyssey. So it really depends on what happens over the next several years and what's available when I finally get back in the market for a car. But the recent issues don't shy me away from Toyota. If they have what I deem to be the appropriate car for my needs at the time I'll get it.

- D

20. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've owned Toyotas for 20 years and plan to continue the trend for another 20 years. My first vehicle was a Toyota, and I still own it.

If anything, it's about time Toyota stumbled. The recent recalls will give them a swift kick in the butt, and I think they will come out of this stronger than ever.

I'm actually going to take advantage of the situation. I'm willing to bet Prius' aren't going to sell too well right now thanks to all the media hype, so I'm going to be upgrading from our 1st generation to a 2nd generation. And from what I've seen so far doing some mild car shopping already, I will have the pick of the litter!