1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After all these years of dreaming...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ruby Quiver, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Ruby Quiver

Ruby Quiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally have one!

Hey fellow Priusians!

I broke down (and now I'm beyond broke) and found a black 2006 with 62,500 miles (a bit much) at a used car lot called "Luxury Imports" here in Cleveland.

It being pretty hard to find used Priuses for under $15000 here in Cleveland, and after being jerked around by some salesmen at a local Toyota dealer, AND the prices of economical cars going up, my partner and I are taking our chances.

There is only one smart key, a rip in the carpet, and no floor mats, which are all big dissapointments... the second of which the dealer is going to hopefully fix (haven't picked up the car yet).

I'm going to call a local Toyota dealer to see what a spare smart key is going to cost. What are some thoughts or suggestions on this?

Excited to be here!
    -Fred

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

There's lots of great info here. I've seen smart keys advertised on Ebay, so check there and search here for info on what is compatible and how to program (or have programmed) the key.

One thing I've learned from reading here is that the Prius is usually more reliable than many other cars, so the mileage on yours shouldn't be a big issue (however, since the general public seems to think the battery will die quickly and cost thousands - neither is true - it does help keep the price of mid-mileage examples down, to the advantage of buyers!).

Enjoy your Prius.

3. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2005 prius with 73500 Mi for 11000$ from a used car dealer one month back.

From other posts Smart key costs upward of 300$ programmed from a dealer.

I could get Blacl logo ( non smart key) one from ebay for 38$. I am able to program it to start the car. No luck trying to program it to open doors. With Mechanical key cut in home depot for less than 2$, I now have a working key for less that 40$. Mechanical key to open doors and Ebay FOB to start the car.

I believe even if you buy another smart key from ebay, it is no good for smart functions.