1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

after brake fluid exchange should petal be firmer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tjli, Dec 12, 2012.

1. tjli

tjli Junior Member

Recently had my 2007 brake fluid exchanged at a dealer and the petal seems about the same in travel and firmness.

When I did similar jobs on my other vehicles the petal firmed up and was like a new car feeling. I followed the usual drill of starting with the brake furthest from the master and bleeding each brake.

Did I not get the full treatment ie exchange and bleeding? Would like some feedback before talking to dealer.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only thing that would concern me would be if the pedal got softer.

3. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless there was a problem beforehand, or other brake work done, the pedal should feel no different.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should also be warned that doing brake work on a Prius is a seriously bad idea unless you know what you are doing. The Prius is never "off". The brake pump can and will be primed when you/the-SKS is near the car, when the door is opened, and also at other seemingly random times. This means you could be in the middle of doing your thing, and out shoots the piston from the caliper.

Also just disconnecting the 12v battery won't do it because there is a capacitor backup as well that should be bled off slowly and safely.

The correct procedure involves hooking up the Toyota Techstream, and telling the car to stop doing self tests because you are doing brake work. Then it is just like any other car. If you do not do that, you are gambling with the self test sequence being run at any point to check the hydraulic pressure in the line which will cause streams of liquid and anything else in its way like your finger to shoot out at very very high pressure.