1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After first oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Springtime, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Springtime

Springtime Member

OK, I am still reading the 2005 manual and I got up to the part about the car gently reminding me to change the oil at 4500 and making darn sure I do it by 5000 miles.

I am a little confused when it starts talking about reseting the odometer. Doesn't the odometer keep track of total miles driven for ever and ever? If I reset the thing does it keep the total miles driven but just reset something internally so the car knows when to nag me about the next oil change? The way it is stated in the manual it sounds like the odometer goes back to zero and I lose all the miles driven to date and that does not sound right.

Also if I am having the oil change at the dealership will they automatically reset it or do they leave that up to the driver?

Springtime

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You're not resetting the odometer, just the service indicator. The odometer flashes up 000000 temporarily to indicate success.

The dealer should do it for you.

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I don't turn the light off because the oil change interval is very easy to remember: 5,10,15,20... my next change is at 35. After a while the light does not bother you any more.

4. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Well, I guess you could get used to it (like the snowflake which amazingly disappeared for awhile here in MN yesterday (it was 41 F)). But I would prefer they reset it. Just having my 5000 mile "service" at the dealer and they reset it, but I wonder if the "fast" oil change people will know how to.....seems like a way to steer one into using the dealer to me!

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The reset procedure is explained in the (American) user manual. You can do it yourself.

(The light isn't present in cars outside America, as we just change oil every 10,000 miles with the regular service).