1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After how much mileage would you replace your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eug, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I only have ~90000 km (~56000 miles) on my 2004 Prius, and was debating whether or not to get a new car in 2011 (when my extended warranty runs out) or maybe 2012-2013-ish. That was my original plan: Keep my car until the generation 3 was well established (eg. 2011 model or later), and then get a new Prius.

With all these people hitting 100000 miles easily and now 200000 miles, maybe I'll just keep this car going until after the generation 4 Prius comes out. Maybe get a new car in 2015? By that time I'd expect to have over 100000 miles. If I kept the car until 2020 (generation 5? :)), I'd expect to have over 150000 miles, but 150000 miles seems like I'd be pushing it, even though several here have gotten to 200000 miles with only a few issues.

In my case, my multifunction display was having problems, but I've had that AutoBeYours.com guy in Indiana fix it... and it's now on its way back to me. I've got a big dent (with the paint totally scratched off in that area) that will likely (hopefully) cost less than $1000 to fix, but other than that I should be good to go. My tires were replaced last year. I have scratches on my windshield from the metal part of my wipers. The rubber had come off and I didn't get around to replacing them until a couple of weeks later. Bad decision, but the scratches are minor and I can live with it, and there is no need to replace the windshield. Everyone I talked to said to just keep the windshield and then replace it if I get a crack from a rock or something.

If it was your grandma or grandpa who had no desire to try to maintain a problematic car, at what point would you recommend getting a new Prius, based on the observed history here? 100000 miles? 150000 miles? 200000 miles? (Let us ignore the MFD issues for this exercise.)

2. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing a car for most people have nothing to do with the condition of car
    It has more to do with a WANT something new
    And by the sounds of it, you want something new :D
    Change it when it will make you happy

3. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I start thinking new car when a car gets to 100K. Before 150K I've always replaced them. According to the forum reports, Prius lasts a bit longer than average, so I might bump those numbers to 150 and 200K, respectively. But, this is my first Prius, so I'm not certain. More research is indicated.

Some people replace cars only when they need replacing...it sounds like the OP and I are of the same mind.

Chuck

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've spent most of my life driving cars that had over 100K when I got them. I'm used to keeping POS going for the next 100K or so.

The Prius is the first new car we've ever had. At this point, 3 years and 65K miles, we are considering just driving it (and maintaining it) until it is ready for retirement. Based on the last Toyota I owned, that will be after about 360K miles :thumb:

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Nah. About the only thing I'd really want in a new car is an aux input for the car stereo, but that's pretty minor.

I'd be fine keeping the car to 160000 km if history tells us the Prius doesn't need a lot of work before then, but I'm still concerned I'll be out of warranty as of early 2011. I have 70000 km to go yet before I hit 160000 km, which I'm thinking would be 2015.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Keep in mind its mileage AND time. For example, a 20 year old car with only 30,000 miles on it may need a lot of maintenance, due to the plastic and rubber parts disintegrating.

In the same vein, there are taxis in Canada with WELL over 350,000 km (that's more than 200,000 mi for those metrically challenged ;) ) that are still running just fine. But that's lots of miles (km) in less time than most of us would do.

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    160000 km by 2015, 240000 km by 2020.

Yeah, by the time my Prius hits 160000 km, it will likely be 11 years old. (I think I'm averaging close to 16000 km (10000 miles) per year now, but I'm only at 90000 km after over 6 years because I used to live closer to my workplace.) By the time my Prius hits 240000 km, it would likely be 16 years old. Sixteen years is a long time to own a car.

I'm thinking that factoring in time and mileage as well as peace of mind, a replacement after I hit 160000 km in 2015 might be reasonable. Generation IV, here I come! :) No aux input until then though. :(

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you want me to assume that an elderly person is in the picture, I will also assume that individual is on a fixed income and does not wish to spend money needlessly. If this assumption fits you, then I suggest you continue to own the Prius and keep up on scheduled maintenance, until a major repair is needed (for example, the transaxle dies.) Then get rid of the car and buy a replacement.

At the annual rate that you are logging miles, your current Prius may last you for another 8-9 years without significant trouble - if you keep up with scheduled maintenance and don't neglect obvious issues (like timely wiper blade replacement, low engine oil or coolant level, etc.)

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We do about 20,000 miles per year on our primary vehicle, which is now the Prius. My target is to run it for 10 years, so 200,000 miles.

I began setting aside money when I bought it in December 2009 to replace in December 2019.

If it's still running in 10 years time, and running well, maybe we'll run it longer, but I'm hoping by that time there will be something so much better that there will be an economic and ecological imperative to get a different vehicle then or even earlier.

10. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Heh. I won't be on fixed income. Actually, in 8-9 years hopefully my house will be fully paid off so my available cash will actually be better.

But yeah, I don't want to spend money needlessly. My Prius is still in good shape. My seats are actually pristine, since I bought seat covers. My cargo area is a little dirty from transporting garden plants, but should clean up reasonably well. (I have a cargo tarp, but not the rubber cargo mat.)

11. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The OP's question depends in part on how he maintains his vehicle. Some people, ourselves included, buy cars with the intent of keeping them a long long time. That requires more dedicated maintenance. Others see their vehicle as an appliance to be used up and then discarded. That often translates into minimal maintenance.

We plan to keep our cars a very long time. With that in mind, the first things we did with our Prii was get clear bra and window tint done, body side moldings, mud flaps, rear bumper protector and all weather mats. These kind of upgrades keep our cars looking new and increase our driving and ownership experience. They may also increase the future resale value - but that is far less important than the every-day pleasure of driving a car in pristine condition.

We've done this with all our cars and it pays off in unexpected ways. I once sold a BMW 525 to a client on a Friday evening. The next Monday, his brother called me to complain that his sibling had "gone out and bought a brand-new BMW." He was shocked to learn that the car was 9 years old, had 83,000 miles and cost only a small fraction of a brand new one.

My biggest worry about owning an older car in pristine condition is that some idiot will run into it and the insurance company will only pay what the same car in "average" condition is worth. That logic overlooks the fact that a new $30,000 car won't get me from point A to point B any better than the old $5,000 car that was destroyed. Still, we're not accident prone and the long term payoff is worth the slight risk of a paltry insurance settlement.

Bottom line: Invest in maintenance and keep your car forever.

1 person likes this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 1989 Toyota Corolla All-Trac wagon is still on the road with 230,000 miles. I bet my Prius makes it to drinking age as well.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All this talk of selling after 100,000 miles is nonsense! A Toyota at 100,000 miles should only be 1/3 of its life. I hope the Prius is the same.

If so I'd like to get at least 250,000 miles out of mine.

14. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to say that my 88 Corolla just went off to the auto recycler this week.:Cry: Hope my prius lasts as long.

As someone who usually buys used cars, I think you should sell your car when it has 20 k miles...

... to me...

...for less than half what you paid :D

I'll then drive it the rest of the way into the ground, which would take a long time.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius replaced a 1986 Honda with nearly a quarter million miles, which I purchased new. DW is still unwilling to part with her only slightly younger Acura. I have budgeted for a single traction battery replacement, but if this Prius cannot otherwise match those Hondas, I will be highly disappointed with Toyota.

Based on the reports from long time Prius owners, I am seeing no reason why this Prius shouldn't match or beat my Honda experience.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I kept my '83 Delta 88 & '89 Delta 88 for 17 years. I EXPECT a car to last that long. I EXPECT the '10 Prius to do so without costing a fortune. Historically I don't sell a car, I scrap a car.

17. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: 160000 km by 2015, 240000 km by 2020.

Yep my 88 camry just keeps on ticking and it doesn't cost much to keep her going.

18. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: 160000 km by 2015, 240000 km by 2020.

That's the other great thing about keeping a car (practically) forever. You save a ton on annual license renewal (registration) fees and car insurance.

When we sold our '98 Sienna, it only cost us about $30 per year for registration and $350 per year (IIRC) for insurance. Each of our 2009 Prii is many times more expensive than that.

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldnt be surprised if Prius owners can get the odometer to digitally "roll over" the 7 figure mark in years to come. Since the ICE's run time isn't related to miles on the car, it is hard to put an estimate of the length of the car in miles.

I am in agreement to keep the car until something major happens, then buy a newsed Prius Gen 5. :)

However, I am guilty of the replacing a car because I am bored or want something new rather than it dying. Did that with 3 Lexus RX and then for the Prius just bought that to supplement a Honda Civic with 120k that still works fine but after 5 years has lost its twinkle...

20. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree. I just don't understand selecting an arbitrary mileage figure to sell a car. I kept my Toyota Tercel for 15 years and I expect any car to last me 15 years. After 15 years, I admit that I start to think of replacing it.

I fully expect both my 2005 and 2010 Priuses to reach 300,000 miles.

Of course, I did have to have repairs done on the Tercel: new radiator, new harmonic balancer, many tune ups, new wiring harness twice, new starter, shocks, struts, many brake jobs. It cost a lot to keep it on the road. But it never had to be towed.