1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After Market Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aliciadeso, Jun 16, 2007.

1. aliciadeso

aliciadeso New Member

I'm on my second Prius -- Zippy, my 2002, was totalled in a Mother's Day accident (their fault). I bought a 2005 package 5 that had everything I wanted except a backup camera. I really think I need one, as I can barely see through the back window!

So how much should that cost me? Do I have to go through the dealer? Would it affect my warranty?

2. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Yxtabay @ Jun 16 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]463260[/snapback]</div>
    I have the 05 with package 6 and would like this option.

Anyone?

3. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

4. aliciadeso

aliciadeso New Member

Thanks for the link!
    I just read a review of the VR3 camera on epinions.com -- Has anyone else ever used one of these cameras? The review isn't pretty!

Product Rating: 1 (out of 5)
    Ease of Use: 3
    Durability: 1
    OK for the price
    by mi99amigo ,Oct 26 '06

Pros: Color monitor. Ease of installation.
    Cons: Small monitor. Signal interference - way too much. Camer not waterproof.

Installation was fairly simple for my pick up, but the included wire tap clips do not work well for the camera. Had to do some splicing and use my own wire nuts. Monitor is a lot smaller that I had expected, but it is color and works. Mounting the monitor is a challenge as the included cradle can only swivel in a limited rage. Mini wire plug into the monitor is unnecessarily long. The wireless signal is subject to LOTS of interference and has limited range. I doubt it will work well in my 26 foot motorhome. But I will give it a try and update my review.

Still for $100 from Wally World, you get what you pay for.

ONE MONTH UPDATE - I have decided that this is the worst $100 I can spend. i cannot be more unhappy with this. The camera is not waterproof! It is now filled with rain water.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Yxtabay @ Jun 16 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]463260[/snapback]</div>
    After the 2006 came out with the backup camera as an option, I asked the dealer if I could get one installed on my'05. They indicated that Toyota (at least that dealer) didn't do any retrofits. I installed a license plate camera I got off the internet a few months ago. It was somewhat of a PITA getting the wiring through the hatch and fed up to the front of the car. I just use a Radio Shack TV as the monitor, but there are other options available.

Dave M.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sigma Automotive sells both the OEM camera and the interface. Together it would cost about $608 (plus shipping). After that you'd be on your own.

I'm planning to install back-up sensors that change the speed of the beep the closer you get (as well as a digital display). The one I'm looking at has two sensors for the front as well (no sound, but a digital display).

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Its a cute gimmic to show first time riders (high WOW factor). After a year and a half, I hardly look at it. I would hate to run over somebody by not watching my mirriors, just the TV. "Sorry I ran you over, but I didn't see you on TV". I find the lens so distorted distance wise, that it is almost useless other than for a quick general scan of what's behind you.

8. pdxped

pdxped New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brewmaster @ Jun 21 2007, 04:45 AM) [snapback]465655[/snapback]</div>
    Hi! I have an '05 pkg 6, and I need (not want) a backup camera, because I know I'm gonna hurt someone backing out of a parking space someday. :unsure:

I just found this unit by chance at CostCo for $80: VR3 model VRBCS300WCOS

One amazon review...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...customerReviews

I was considering having Car Toys install a unit wired into my nav screen for $800, so since this it 1/10th the price, I decided to buy it.

One thing I did notice is, the camera bar will cover most of the name of my state on my license plate. I don't think I'll get pulled over, since the rest of our state plate is very distinctive. (crossing fingers)

I'm also worried about the weather factor. I live in a wet climate, and maybe the thing isn't waterproof as reported in other posts here regarding others' VR3 product purchases. (crossing toes, package says nothing about being weatherproof)

Tomorrow, I'll figure out how to open the lil' hole cover 'n run the camera wire thru to the reverse light circuit. Maybe I'll even tackle wiring in the monitor to the fusebox, too. I'll chime in again as soon as I check it out.

Does anyone know how to open that little wire access cover? Do you just pry it off?