1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After Market Compass

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Seagull6, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Seagull6

Seagull6 New Member

So far I am delighted with my 06 Package 3 Prius. I've had it for 6 weeks now and have put about 2500 trouble free miles on it and have a cumulative average of 52.0 MPG. We took it for one road trip of around 1200 miles and it performed like a champ and with the back seats down we were able to load it like a station wagon.

However, what I miss on the Prius is not having a compass built into the rear view mirror like my other vehicles. Has anyone had any luck or experience with after market digital compasses that either stick to the dashboard or inside the windshield? I've seen a few on the web that go for less than $100 like the Wayfinder V7000 Digital Compass, but I have no experience with them and don't know what works well and what to look for. I've also tried a digital watch that had an intergral digital comapss, but that didn't work well due to the magnetic interference from the car itself.

Incidentally, I tried using my hand held Magellan GPS over the weekend and don't recommend it. If there is anything more dangerous than messing with your cell phone while driving, it might be messing with your hand held GPS and cursing through the screens. :(

Please share your thoughts and experiences with digital compasses.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ Aug 29 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]311353[/snapback]</div>
    This may be a hard one. I think that your best bet may be a GPS based system. I would guess that with all the computers and magnetic field in the Prius a Compass may not do well. Having said that I have not tried it. The GPS will get the headings from the satellite info. You do not have to "play around with it" while you are driving. The Garmin I had a compass on it. I am a total map person. I love maps, compasses, altimeters, and all manor of navigational stuff. That does not mean you have to drive and use them! You can pull over even on the freeway! Most of the new navigation systems have a voice feature that will guide you as you listen. I have had digital compasses in previous cars and I have moved up! Give it all one more try and you do not have to fix your eye on the GPS.

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you ever tried the Compass Mode on the Navigation system?
    You turn on the voice and say "Compass Mode"...

Sorry- just noticed you had package 3 (i.e. no nav)...so this will not work.

4. glenhead

glenhead New Member

Sigh. Try something before you condemn it outright.

Got a Wayfinder V700 from this eBay vendor - $29.90 with shipping, works like a champ. The price is less than half retail (it's a refurbished compass). Run it through its calibration mode (push a button and drive in a circle), and it ignores the internal magnetic fields. It's the same technology used in the rear-view-mirror compass in my Suburban (PMI is the inventor of the technology for the military, they were bought out by CT Global). If it loses its mind (as they do maybe once a year) you re-calibrate and it works fine for the next while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wayfinder-V700-Digital...1QQcmdZViewItem

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I saw a mini compass that glued to the mirror in the Toyota catalogue one time while I was sitting in their lounge. I think it was around $20.

6. dmzach

dmzach New Member

For what it's worth, I saw one at Target this week that had the little .75 x .50 window that fits on the front of the mirror with a slightly larger box (battery, etc.) that fits on the back of the mirror. I don't recall the price (I have nav, so I wasn't too interested, just curious) It's in the Automotive section of Target.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< :rolleyes: The original question was posted by a Prius owner with a Package 3. The Package 3 does not nave the Navigation system thus no "Compass Mode." It pays to read the original question before responding.