1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After-Market Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by wmhunter, Sep 15, 2006.

1. wmhunter

wmhunter New Member

Greetings to all; this is my second post to PriusChat. I have a 2006, Super White, package 4, purchased 8/3/06, and would like to find a way to install fog lights in the same locations as factory lights. The dealer tells me such a mod is not available from Toyota. I have searched the forum, and came up empty-handed. Can anyone help?

Thanks to all who contribute to PriusChat. I have learned a lot in the last few weeks, particularly in driving techniques and modifications which work.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!

Well, you can buy the lower dam piece with the foglight cutouts to replace your current one. I believe it has been done before.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you find a slick way of getting projector HID's down there, please let me know! I've had the factory fogs, and they are useless. I've upgraded to HIR bulbs in the factory fixtures, and they're slightly better than useless.

4. Aspie

Aspie New Member

Greetings as well, my first post. 2006 White Pkg 4 - delivered 9/11

I don't remember where I found this, but I hope it helps:

Toyota part number for the fog lights 81211-52070 times two. Left and right are the same part number.
    The grilles that surround them are 53112-47030 and 53113-47030 (left and right)
    The bulbs are standard 9006

Damn computer hosed when I posted this the first time.

5. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aspie @ Sep 16 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]320456[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Aspie -

I don't WHAT?

6. Aspie

Aspie New Member

Greetings as well - my first post.

I don't remember where I found this, but I hope it hel

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 15 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]320426[/snapback]</div>
    DocVijay has HID fogs but I don't think they're projectors.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 16 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]320530[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, I have HID fogs. I used an HID retrofit kit. They are not projectors. THe factory fogs have an integrated shield that keeps them from being blinding, and they work pretty well now. Not as good as some of hte aftermarket options out there, but far better than stock. Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any point of upgrading? I'm more or less satisfied with the Silverstars I currently have on the headlights since we don't have an HID option but, like everyone else, the fogs are useless. I'd like brighter fogs but then again wonder if I'll ever use it.

10. wmhunter

wmhunter New Member

Many thanks for all of your input. You have helped me understand this subject better. It appears that there is no after-market fog light kit for the Prius, as I had hoped. And I'm just as glad now that I didn't get the factory lights, as they don't appear to be useful. Too bad.

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wmhunter @ Sep 18 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]321308[/snapback]</div>
    That's not exactly true. There are very few fog lights that are a vehicle specific kit. There are plenty of lights that woukd work. I would suggest getting the two valence pieces that have the holes for the fogs. Then just get any aftermarket fog light that will fit the opening. Many manufacturers make fog lights.

While none of them are a direct factory fit, and you'll have to wire them up yourself and use theor switch rather than the factory one, it is possible.

My Ford Explorer had eight aftermarket lights installed on it. Two big fogs, two driving, an four floods on the roof.

Anything is possible. It just takes a bit of work.

Here are a few places you can start looking.

PIAA www.piaa.com

Hella http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPorta...ce_Lighting.jsp

Both of these companies make lots of high quality lamps.

Hey Darell, Hella has a nice set of compacy HID projectors, the Micro DE Xenon. Really nice, really expensive.

12. jjf

jjf New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wmhunter @ Sep 15 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]320252[/snapback]</div>
    I just put some PIAA fog lights on my Prius. (model 1500XT yellow lights) They're nice and bright. I used a Dremel tool and a small hack saw to carve out holes in the air-dam pieces for the fog lights to fit into. The air dam parts are under $20 apiece so I figured it's not too expensive if I mess up.

The two main questions I had were how to hook them up electrically and how to run the switch cable from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment.

Electrically, I connected them to the screw-terminal (positive) right next to the jumper bar in the fuse box and to the bolt (negative) at the top of the fuse box that holds the box to the car's frame. One more wire gets clamped to the power feed to the parking light.

The switch cable can follow the hood release cable from the passenger compartment to the wheel well (the plastic shield can easily be dropped from the wheel well) and then into the engine compartment.

Some spare parts (ordered online) for an Erector set allowed me to connect the fog lights directly to the air-dam piece. Aiming the lights was a bit repetitious as it's a matter of popping out the plastic dam, adjusting the aim, popping it back in, checking the aim, popping it out again....

But the result is great.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 18 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]321332[/snapback]</div>
    Love the "really nice" part. Not as fond of the really expensive part. ;)

Hmmm. Are those really projectors? Doesn't sound like it with the "magnesium FF reflector."

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wmhunter @ Sep 18 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]321308[/snapback]</div>
    This?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/04-07-TOYOTA-PRIUS-XENO...1QQcmdZViewItem

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 19 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]322046[/snapback]</div> I sure don't like that they call them Xenon Fog Light Kits, and then go on to explain that they're 55W Halogen made to look like HID? Ug.

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 20 2006, 12:41 AM) [snapback]322115[/snapback]</div>
    It's ebay, what did you expect?

18. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 19 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]322046[/snapback]</div> I can't make out the numbers in the drawing of the lamp, but the description says it is a 4" round lamp and the Prius cutout in the grill is just over 3". Either they have the wrong size listed or the lamp is too big to fit. Unless they are mounted recessed from the grill?

19. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 20 2006, 01:09 AM) [snapback]322122[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't care if they were real HID - I cannot get that far into the listing.
    I cannot take listening to their spokesmodel! "Fer shure, dudes"

There's no way I am going to sit thru that little girl's discussion of how much she loves cars just to buy some fake fog lights.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha. Hmm... one of my Silverstars blew out (low beam) today. Had it replaced today for free under a 1 year warranty. I've heard about them prematurely burning out but 10 months is pretty darn fast.