1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After market GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by actuary32174, Jan 16, 2006.

1. actuary32174

actuary32174 Junior Member

Rather than getting the installed NAV system, I decided to purchase a separate unit. The one that seems to meet my needs the best is the Lowarnce iWay 500. Does anyone have any opinions on this unit? Has anyone tried it in a prius?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://gpsinformation.net

In their ratings, it's rated below a few Garmin and Magellan units. They liked the bright display, but hated the routing. The good news is that the routing is fixable via a software update, and might be improved now (the review is several months old).

I'm thinking about picking up a Garmin 2620 just because I travel a lot and can't always rent a car with GPS, or am not the one renting a car.

3. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jan 16 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]191231[/snapback]</div>
    I picked up Magellan 800 today. Can't figure out for the life of me how to seat it on the dash. Anyone have a Magellan GPS that could share with me how you did it. I'd greatly appreciate it

4. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(actuary32174 @ Jan 16 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]191087[/snapback]</div>
    I have tried to post pictures of my mount and have failed, sorry.

I looked at the Lowarnce and rejected it because it had a built in hard disk. I figured it would eventually fail.

After a very long history of multiple devices including a Garmin 5, Garmin ique 3600, Bluetooth GPS to various palms, pocketpc's, and smartphones, I have adoped the Garmin Nuvi 350 and I am very happy.

It has the entire US and Canada maps loaded. It has a SD slot for additional maps or for Audio books, pictures or MP3 music. It has built in speakers, OK, but not as good as the car radio, and audio out that works with the Aux IN. Great Sound.

The receiver is very sensitive and ther routing is far superior to TomTom.

The real surprise was that the included suction cup mount works with the Prius. I have tried various mounts and none worked for me. (the the garmin ique, I had a RAM mount for the front cup holder that was OK).

The Nuvi suction cup mount has a small suction cup around 2" diameter. It just fits the on the smooth surface of the fold out front cup holder. attach it there then fold the cupholder open. The sets the mount in front fo the console/cup holder. The Nuvi then attaches and it looks like it was designed to be there.

If the suction cup does not hold, reapply. There is minimal room in the center, more room to the right or left due to the finger slot to open the cupholder. With careful placement, it really holds.

Run the power cable and an audio cable along the right side of the consold to the rear then enter the console near the hinge then plug in to power and Audio.

You may need a line isolation filter if you have noise. This is true of most MP3 players.

Don't try and use aftermarket miniUSB power adapters. They will not work correctly with the NUVI. They will recharge the nuvi, but they will put the Nuvi into sync to PC mode. THe Garmin PowerAdapters work correctly.

I like the Nuvi design. It is very easy to use and the reception has been fantastic.

The 360 will be released soon. It will add Bluetooth and a microphone so it will also act as a bluetooth hands free interface for cell phones.

Shop the internet. I found my Nuvi350 discounted at Buydig. It was the same price as a Lowrance. I think it is much more reliable and faster. It is also faster than the Factory Pioneer DVD GPS unit.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have Iway 350c and it is my first GPS. I got it due to the features I needed when I had my previous car. I needed the FM transmittor and MP3 player which I don't need anymore for Prius with Aux jack and build in mp3/wma player.

The hard drive doesn't give problem but it has lags going through items on the menu. This is probably due to save the battery power by parking the drive. IWay 350c came with the latest maps from Nav Tech that Google and Yahoo map uses.

Reliability for battery and overheating issue seems kinda high.

If I were to get a GPS for Prius now, i would go with a different one.

Dennis

6. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I purchased a garmin 2720 and its great.Prior to this i had a black and white street pilot and a street pilot
    3.the 2720 has a chip preloaded with all the maps.last yrs units had a hard drive and i think they had problems
    with it as it is no longer used in the new ones.we al know what can happen to your computer hard drive if it
    gets a good bump while working.
    I called garmin support a couple times and they are great but have to be on hold 30 min or longer.