1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After Market Halogen headlights - no high beam

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jyeaman, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Jyeaman

Jyeaman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello Prius chat community.
    I just purchased a 2008 Prius with 83K miles and a salvage title. The refurbishers put in nice new aftermarket what I am assuming to be halogen headlights and the high beams do not come on. I hear a click like the relay is trying to make things work and the indicator on the dash lights up, but no change in the beams. I had a mechanic take a look at it and he said that the car was meant to have the HID headlights and these aftermarket ones will not work. They are so nice and clear, not all cloudy as most headlights that age are that I would like to keep them. The seller has offered to replace the lights with the HID ones, but I am assuming they will be used and he indicated that replacing the bulbs will be very expensive. Is there a way to make the halogen lights fully work with this car?

I saw a few posts with a similar thread talking about a ballast or something? Is it possible they just didn't plug something in? I do not know what brand these are.

Thanks so much!

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    With HID the high beam is usually a separate bulb. Not very familiar with your model though. If they are willing to replace with HID and provide the bulbs I would take it...