1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After market HIDs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Wiyosaya, May 13, 2006.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Sorry to multipy post this, however, I realized that I posted it initially in reply to a post that was over a month old, and I am concerned that the post might not be seen.

In my area, package 6 is not available, and since I have "Mapopolis" a great Pocket PC nav package, I did not want to go with package 7 just for the hids. So, I should be taking delivery on a package 5 in about two weeks.

I looked into a retro fit of HIDs and gathered some general information on it, so I am wondering how it will apply to a retrofit of HIDs in a Prius.

From what I have been able to find out, it appears that if the reflector is not made for HIDs, then the beams won't focus properly, could emit serious glare that might blind other drivers, and, as such, they would not be DOT approved, therefore, not legal in our area and might be more trouble than they are worth.

However, it occurred to me that if one could get the OEM reflector assembly that Toyota makes for the HIDs the Prius, this would be, essentially, an OEM solution and should be considered DOT approved and, therefore, legal.

So, where might I get the OEM HID reflectors? I think the obvious answer for this is from a Toyota dealer.

Are the OEM HID reflectors the same as the OEM halogen reflectors? From the information that I found, I seriously doubt that they are. As such, this would make a HID retrofit potentially problematic, in that it might not pass inspection, could be ticketed, could potentially be blamed for blinding someone causing an accident, ie., in general, not worth the trouble for the limited night-time driving I do.

Thoughts?

TIA