1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After-market Nav System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dovcamp, Jul 20, 2004.

1. dovcamp

dovcamp New Member

Is it possible to add integrated after-market navigation system?

2. Smooth Operator

If it is possible, Coastaletech (www.coastaletech.com) is the mostly likely place to make it available.

The built in NAV system includes the Bluetooth and voice control, so don't expect that. And the built in NAV includes gyroscopic sensors to deal with loss of GPS signals, so don't anticipate that feature either.

3. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    So does that mean the navigation would work in the "Big Dig" depressed freeway in Boston?

I was partly looking forward to the concept of visitors panicking when the navigation lady couldn't tell them what exit to get off.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm.... i must admit the big dig is on the wrong end of I-90 for me to examine closely... but exactly how many exits are located in that tunnel anyways??

5. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    It's hard to say *exactly*, because, well, for one thing, I don't know, and I left my map in the car, and they're still working on it, and, true to Boston tradition, the exits are not totally symmetrical.

But I'd estimate that the underground part of I-93 has approximately two or three exits, and the underground part of I-90 has approximately one or two exits.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow 3 exits under water? do you have to know how to swim?

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow 3 exits under water? do you have to know how to swim? no wonder the thing cost so much!!!

8. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I originally was very dissapointed in the issue of not having an integrated GPS installed in Canada, and a lack of a good integrated GPS available through 3rd party manufacturers.

In the end, I bought a Garmin streetpilot 2610 and have been absolutely satisfied with it. It does sit on the dashboard and needs to be plugged into the lighter jack, but Garmin updates the software VERY frequently with fixes and enhancements (free), and offers much better maps for the unit than the Toyota-supplied DVD.

Another benefit is that you can take it with you if you travel without your car (like a vacation in Europe for example)... And of course, if a better GPS comes out, you can always sell it and buy a new one.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe they could finance it by selling (expensive) swimming lessons.

"Before you drive the Big Dig, get your official swimming lessons, just in case. Only $39,998.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    from the 11 Billion dollar ??? cost, that would pay for about an inch maybe??

i saw a special on the History channel that mentioned the cost, i dont remember the exact figures, but it was astronomical. although there were several people who raved over the fact that the commute to the airport had been reduced by HOURS. so i guess it is money well spent.

if you want an example of how to waste money on transportation projects, just travel to the other end of I-90 and take a look at the elevated rail system project in seattle.

please no laughing... our egos, after having been inflated for years from being regarded as one of the most technologically advanced cities in the country, is hurting right now from our inability to come up with at least a halfway reasonable mass transportation plan.

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No Dave, he said underGROUND, not underWATER :)
    I went through it for the first time about a month ago. It was Friday night about 8PM and not a rush hour thing, traffic moved nicely. I had NO problem getting to Logan Sat morning. But I guess even in Boston, 5:30 AM is a bit early for most folks -)
    It was Sunday about 4PM on the way back. Again, not exactly a high traffic period, at least not going OUT of Boston.
    I personally like the new bridge [web:fc9e70f52a]http://www.bigdig.com/thtml/images/gwcrc28.jpg[/web:fc9e70f52a]