1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

after market navigation through stock system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by shandrea, Nov 28, 2005.

1. shandrea

shandrea New Member

I'm wondering whether anyone knows why build in nav can't be added to a prius without purchasing a nav package of the lot. A dealer has told me this, but the screen is there, the computer is there, now in 06 the bluetooth and back up camera can be there in the non nav versions. Even the nav controls are on the steering wheel. I would think that one could add oem nav system parts (if not commercially available by getting the parts from a wrecked prius at a junk yard) to add the same factory navigation system that is in those that come with nav through a package. Has anyone tried this or know why it has not/cannot be done?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You'd have to add the NAV button around the MFD too. I suppose it's possible, but it would probably be cheaper to get a third-party portable system.

3. shandrea

shandrea New Member

Sorry, I'm new, what does MFD stand for? (display?) I just demoed an 06 with package 5. I thought I saw the nav buttons (such as map) on the buttons next to the display screen, but I could be wrong. I would just much rather have built in gps using the screen that is already there rather than have a bulky unit that can be placed in any car that does not already have a screen. Plus, it seems like the it shouldn't cost more than $1000 or so to add the necessary equipment and software since the screen and the computer are already there. This would open me up to other package options that include options that I don't need or necessarily want to pay for -- saving $.

Another question. Is the navigation required for voice command functions? I've read that you can control the stereo volume and climate control through voice commands, but I'm not clear on whether voice prompts are available in with Prius' that do not have nav.

I may get a package 7 (if it becomes available to me before I get another package) because I like the idea that you can now control the navigation by voice in the 06 while driving.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

one option to have nav on the MFD on a non-nav equipped Prius is to us the CAN-view and add the Pioneer system. I've seen this one and it works fine. Have a look
    http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm adding a Pioneer AVIC N-2 into my Prius. This is done by removing the OEM radio (and relocating it below the driver's seat because it is required for the MFD screen to work) and installing a plastic KIT to house the AVIC N-2.

The only thing is that it overlaps the MFD screen, so i'd keep the MFD off unless i needed to change the AC setting or something. I'll post pics once i get the nav. fixed... it's having some problems ejecting the DVD.

[​IMG]
    Total price $1600 installed (with XM radio & live traffic module), surely beats $5000 for package6, but it doesn't look as clean.

6. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

The price of the NAV system on the '06 is $1900, not $5000.

7. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

shandrea, don't work so hard... You really should either buy it with NAV, or buy one of the
    aforementioned 3rd-party aftermarket units later. I really don't think there's even a slight
    chance that you will save $$.

We are still learning about the '06s, but I doubt any NAV support is there if the NAV isn't
    already installed. My dealer used a NAV-equipped vehicle for demos, maybe yours did too.

The NAV unit isn't there, it goes under the driver's seat. Since it isn't there, I doubt the
    wiring harness is there either. The bezel around the MFD (multi-function display) changes,
    the steering wheel changes, harnesses have to be run between all of these items, and I
    suspect either other computer components need to be added or swapped out to give you the
    other 'advanced' features, like voice recognition, maintenance reminder screen, calendar...

In short, you would probably spend as much in labor alone pulling apart and retrofitting an
    already-built vehicle as the original system would have cost as an option. And that's IF you
    can actually do it. For instance, dealers will no longer install the Homelink rear-view mirror
    on an airbag-equipped vehicle aftermarket (even though they sell it as an accessory),
    because they would have to pass a wire too close to an installed airbag. And there are many,
    many things in your way after a vehicle is built.

On another question you had, on the 2004/2005, the NAV was required to get voice
    recognition. I suspect that's still true in the '06, but since you can now get Bluetooth
    separately, I can't say for sure... At least not yet.

In a nutshell, after-market solutions are cheaper, although not usually as integrated. If price
    is your stumbling block, after-market is probably the way to go.

Okay, third-party NAV people -- give lots of options. :)

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're right about the '06, but i have an '05 so the difference at the dealer between a pkg3 and pk6 was around $5000 (i think $4700 or so).

Too much for me! $5000 + tax + financing charges....weee....

I do agree however that the OEM navigation is top notch for being OEM. I've heard that it is built by Alpine, or was it Eclipse?

9. tag

tag Senior Member

Costco is selling a pretty nice Tom Tom unit for $649 after rebate. I think that model even has Bluetooth and owners can download updates from their computer via a USB cable.

10. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

This is still invalid -- you didn't just get the NAV system for that $5,000.

The NAV unit was made by Denso.

11. tag

tag Senior Member

I don't think the difference between those packages was $5000, either. I believe $5k was the difference between a base and a loaded (#6) 05.

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    MFD stands for Multi Functional Display.

You'd also have to pay for the DVD system that the map disc goes into, plus the harness if that isn't there. There's an upgrade of the display in the '06, so I don't know what would be available in a wrecked Prius ('04 or '05) that would work.

As for the voice command, in the '05 at least you need the NAV system for voice command. I hope it's better in the '06 as most of the time "Alma" (what I call the NAV system) won't do what I want. I'll say that "GAS STATION" and she'll show Ski Resorts. When I do it again, she'll orient the map to north, or zoom in. She does understand "POI OFF" as longs as I say it as P-O-I, otherwise I get Hawaiian restaurants. :)

13. shandrea

shandrea New Member

Thanks for all of your responses.

As to the $5000 cost of nav, if he didn't want all of the other options and only went with package 6 because he wanted integrated nav, the nav did cost him $5000. With he 2006, to get nav one must pay for the $5730 package even if he/she doesn't want or need the options packaged together with nav.

This is true for me. While the other included options within the nav package are nice, I would be happy with a base model plus nav.

The model I drove was package 5 with bluetooth but without nav. It was not a demo vehicle, it was for sale. I would have bought it had it not been for the 2006 tax credit. The dealer would not hold it for me for a January delivery (they sold it the next morning). I'm sure that the buttons for nav were on the MFD and the steering wheel because I asked the dealer about the buttons.

I don't want to go with an aftermarket system, because I want to keep the system clean looking -- which also helps avoid thieves breaking in to steal an aftermarket system.

If I don't have gps integrated through the mfd, I will just go without (or use my pocket pc for gps as I have in the past). I do not want to limit myself to only package 7 (with gps), because I am new to the waiting list and I want to better my chances of taking deliver within the next few months. I have already limited myself to a single color (black). If I limit myself on packages, it is very unlikely that I will take delivery in the next few months, especially with the new tax credit that will be phased out starting in July.

14. tag

tag Senior Member

Interesting. The package 5 had "DEST" and "Map" buttons?

15. shandrea

shandrea New Member

Okay, I talked to my wife and she only remembered four buttons on the mfd, so I could be confusing something. I know that the nav buttons were on the steering wheel. Has anyone else been in an 06 who can confirm whether the there are nav buttons on the mfd. The only pictures on the toyota site show the mfd with nav buttons, but it may be a nav model.

16. ABC12

ABC12 New Member

what difference does it make? if you need it, add it. are you going to stop because they tell you a button isn't there?

17. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The buttons on the steering wheel and around the MFD are what brings up the map and makes it work. I suppose you could mount a couple of buttons somewhere, but then it would lose the "built in" abilities (like the voice operation) plus he would lose that clean look he wanted with the built in.

18. ABC12

ABC12 New Member

Just get whatever you need from the junk yard and install it

19. jmisola

jmisola New Member

It's seems that you don't need to relocate the OEM radio.
    Look on Page 4 of:
    Metra 99-8213
    Now you can remove completly the OEM radio !

This is also the answer for a nice plastic KIT ! :D

I'm adding an Alpine dvd99310r:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.jmisola.com/prius/dvd99310r.jpg

and I use a PAC solution for the compatibility beetween the factory steering wheel and my Alpine ( pac-audio SWI-ALP)

20. tag

tag Senior Member

The pix in the 04 and 05 brochures and on the web site always showed the NAV version of the MFD.

Strange that there were four buttons because I always had the impression that non-NAVs had 5 buttons on the MFD.