1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After-market Plus Performance Package

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ciaoboy, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ciaoboy

ciaoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recently got a 2011 Five. After a long hunt, having searched everywhere in this half of the country for the options I wanted, the only disappointment I have with the car is that I couldn't find one with the Plus Performance Package. I heard every reason in the book why I couldn't get it, from every dealer... they "really" don't make them, not really a demand for it, etc. I was told they weren't available after the car was assembled.
    Today I found out from our local dealer, who, before today, knew nothing about PPP, and it appears they can order it, or the components, from Toyota.
    -7 piece ground effects kit=$959
    -Spring kit=$349
    -Rims(which people here seem to like)=$349 each
    -Badge=$55
    -I don't know about the special mats or the rear sway bar, but imagine they are available as well.
    I love the modification kits most PC users have, but really love the fact that these ones are from Toyota. Think I'm going to do it, or at least the ground effects and wheels. Lowering the car is kind of freaky to me, as I already have scraped the underside once, at the gas station I got my first fill up.
    Questions:
    1. Does anyone here work at Toyota who can verify that this can actually be ordered?
    2. Would it be weird NOT to lower the car?
    3. The dealership will not install the Ground effects kit themselves, but gave me some places who will in our isolated area. How much do you think this will cost?
    4. If anyone has, or has driven a Prius with the PPP option... what exactly is the "rear diffuser" and how do you like it?
    I know some will say it's not worth it. I respect that, but don't care. I know my Prius isn't a speed-performance vehicle...I just want mine to be unique, since I see them everywhere. I know there are better looking kits out there, but for the price... I would be extremely happy with this.
    I forgot to mention that the kit comes factory painted in the color of my car, for the same price.
    Thoughts???

2. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on the new car! Your 5 comes with the 17" alloys already that I actually prefer over the Performance Package ones AND you have the LED headlights that all us <5 owners drool over. The real eye sore is the large wheel well gap that is common on the newer Prius models. Many here have lowered their car just little over an inch with the Tanabes and it has made a huge difference. Add the Valenti taillights, LED side mirrors, tint, and carbon fiber emblem backings....and you will have one sweet ride!

1 person likes this.
  3. goodtimes

goodtimes my future is righteousness

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was quoted $247 for the spring kit & $249 for the rear sway... I didnt get quotes for the kit or wheels... Definitely not giving a plug for the dealership because I wouldn't want them to get more $business but, if it could save you a buck..... Here ya go... Piercy Toyota in the Bay Area northern California

4. ciaoboy

ciaoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the feedback! I love the car as is, don't get me wrong. Just want something more unique. I've seen the decals and are definately adding them to my to do list!

5. ciaoboy

ciaoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    :eek:WOW!!! That's a lotta cheddar price difference. I'm going to mention it to the dealer here and see if they'll match it or drop their price. Love the Prius Chat! Thanks for the info, goodtimes!

6. goodtimes

goodtimes my future is righteousness

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not a problem ciaoboy... More $ saved gives us extra $ to spend on other upgrades..

IMO... To each their own... when it comes to modding their ride... That's what makes car modding unique... Who cares what people think... Any modding on a Prius is freakin awesome................

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AKA Pricey Toyota when I lived in the Bay Area.

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha ha $55 for a badge.

9. voltic

voltic New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sticking the badging on without having the package? Really?

Anyway, some things to be aware of... No, it would look silly without a drop. In addition, the plus package aero kit lowers Cd, but you have to consider ride height. Not dropping on the TRD springs could very well defeat the drag reducing capabilities of the body kit. The springs do make the ride a little rough, by the way. Also you may want to make sure you have the proper tires. Just because your tires fit the 17s on a Prius 5 doesn't mean they will fit Plus wheels.

1 person likes this.
  10. Prius 5 and Plus wheels both use 215/45-17 tires. Why wouldn't they fit?

11. voltic

voltic New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's why I said to check, I wasn't sure.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They need the special badging.

F8L likes this.
  13. voltic

voltic New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should probably rephrase my original response into clearer answers for you.

1. Not a Toyota employee, but you might have problems ordering it aftermarket since it's supposedly a limited run. If you do manage to order it, it may not even come painted. If you do manage to order it painted, it may not even actually match your paint due to age and sun fade... if I remember, you have WGM like I do. I'm sure it's not nearly as hard to match as say Blizzard Pearl, but it looks like it might not be particularly easy either.

2. Yes. In addition to defeating the primary purpose of the body kit, which is to lower the drag coefficient, it's going to defeat the secondary purpose, which is to look awesome. Lower it. Just be prepared for a stiffer ride on the Plus springs. I heard DF210's are softer, but I can't confirm that.

3. Trying to quote prices on body kit installations is difficult. Get pictures of a Plus and run them by some local shops so they know what you're trying to do. Explain to them that the fitment should be perfect since it's a factory Toyota part. If they have to do any tweaking on the fitment, it's going to be a bit extra. Depending on if it's mounted with a couple factory bolts and 3M tape, or if they have to make mounting holes, that could affect the cost. If they have to paint it, that's extra. If it comes painted and you end up finding it out it doesn't match, that's also extra. There are too many variables to give you an estimate, including the quality and reputation of the shop itself. Want it done right? That's extra, too. ;)

4. The rear diffuser is the piece attached to the rear bumper that extends downward a bit. It's there to reduce flow separation and in turn, decreases drag and increases downforce to keep the car planted better. You can see it in the picture I posted in my other thread:

[​IMG]

I hope this answers your questions a little more clearly. I'll see if I can take a more direct rear photo tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  14. ciaoboy

ciaoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Quote from voltaic in black, reply from ciaoboy in red.
    I should probably rephrase my original response into clearer answers for you.

1. Not a Toyota employee, but you might have problems ordering it aftermarket since it's supposedly a limited run. If you do manage to order it, it may not even come painted. If you do manage to order it painted, it may not even actually match your paint due to age and sun fade... if I remember, you have WGM like I do. I'm sure it's not nearly as hard to match as say Blizzard Pearl, but it looks like it might not be particularly easy either.
    The guy in the parts department said it was painted, and, hopefully, since the car is only 1 month old, the colors should match, or at least close enough.

2. Yes. In addition to defeating the primary purpose of the body kit, which is to lower the drag coefficient, it's going to defeat the secondary purpose, which is to look awesome. Lower it. Just be prepared for a stiffer ride on the Plus springs. I heard DF210's are softer, but I can't confirm that.
    My main worries about lowering the car are 1. resale value...will the dealer be less likely to take it as a trade in, or give me less cash for it? and 2. bottoming out. I just had my second grinder coming out of a parking lot and misjudging a dip in the street. No noticeable damage. How aware are YOU driving your PPP?

3. Trying to quote prices on body kit installations is difficult. Get pictures of a Plus and run them by some local shops so they know what you're trying to do. Explain to them that the fitment should be perfect since it's a factory Toyota part. If they have to do any tweaking on the fitment, it's going to be a bit extra. Depending on if it's mounted with a couple factory bolts and 3M tape, or if they have to make mounting holes, that could affect the cost. If they have to paint it, that's extra. If it comes painted and you end up finding it out it doesn't match, that's also extra. There are too many variables to give you an estimate, including the quality and reputation of the shop itself. Want it done right? That's extra, too.
    Great information I never thought about thinking about.

4. The rear diffuser is the piece attached to the rear bumper that extends downward a bit. It's there to reduce flow separation and in turn, decreases drag and increases downforce to keep the car planted better. You can see it in the picture I posted in my other thread:
    YOUR CAR LOOKS GREAT!!! How do you like it? Have you seen many with that package on it?

Thanks again for the information, it is very helpful. I think I need the entire Package like you. How else can I justify spending $55 for the badge?

15. voltic

voltic New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would guess in that case the colors will match, but the longer wait, the less likely that will be.

I have an admission to make actually. I just came from an Infiniti G37 with a full aftermarket suspension setup, and it was very low. I also had very soft lightweight wheels. Combine that with living in San Diego, I had to be very conscious of slopes and speed bumps and pot holes. I can tell you the Plus handles things much better than that, but you still have to be careful if there is a steep ramp into a parking lot or whatever. Any car will bottom out if you try hard enough. Just take really steep entry ramps at an angle.

Springs are more than likely not going to affect resale value at all. Going back to my last car, I was quoted the same for the car with factory parts as I was with $1000's of aftermarket upgrades. Then again, the plus springs are part of a factory package so YMMV. Also the springs probably help to stiffen the car up in addition to lowering it, to prevent it from bottoming out.

To be honest with you, I wasn't looking for the plus package and would never pay what they ask for it. I would have rather picked up the Five Axis kit, the DF210's, and some used TE37's. That being said, I live my plus package, having paid a reasonable price for it.

1 person likes this.
  16. ciaoboy

ciaoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks a lot for the information! From the picture you put out, your car looks great!

17. MandiRocker

MandiRocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I brought my performance pkg Prius IV about the time this thread started, I love it, had exactly what I was looking for.
    I have TRD springs & struts on my 2005 Prius & a front & rear sway bar & stiffening plate.
    So when thinking about buying a Gen 3, I had already mentioned to DH that I wanted that type of handling parts ( I always assumed we would buy them after buying the car ).
    Then, we happened to stumble upon this little beauty on the dealer lot. Now, no need to worry about buying additional parts & a car pmt. IMO the best of both worlds. Very happy :D

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you also put 17" wheels on the 2005?

If so how would you compare the two? If you still have 15s on the 2005 then it's not a great comparison as the 17s make a HUGE difference in handling and ride. :)

19. MandiRocker

MandiRocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are still 15''s on the 2005. Not to say they are the same, that they aren't. The 2011 handles better out of the box than the 2005 & nothing is really broken in yet.
    I had gotten used to a non "Marshmallow" Prius w/ the handling parts/inc tire pressure/etc. I like the stiffer ride. I didn't want to go back to a "soft" car of sorts if you want to call it that, thus the appeal of the performance package.

20. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    what's the ideal tire pressure for the tires on the Prius Plus wheels ?