1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

after-market sidemouldings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wdwelti, Sep 3, 2004.

1. wdwelti

wdwelti New Member

Has anyone found a source for '04 Prius side mouldings in the
    US? I surely think they are a necessity.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

3. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

After seeing them on Priuschat, I wanted to buy the matching molding for my 2004 Prius online from Dawn Enterprises. I was originally going to order it from Dawn and have a local body shop install it. When I went to one body shop to price the installation, they said they would order it there for me and put it on for free! They ordered it and recently installed it. It looks beautiful. Dawn Enterprises painted it according to the paint number inside the door.
    After it was installed the manager brought me out to look at it and said enjoy. I said well I have to go inside to pay for the part. He said don't worry about it - It's on me. And said just come back when you need some body work and tell your friends about us. I was so delighted.
    So if you live on Long Island, NY They are Mid Island Collision on Lakeview Avenue in Rockville Centre - across from Mercedes and the touchless car wash.
    Dawn Enterprises where they purchased the molding: http://www.dawn-ent.com/index.html

Mary Lou[font=Comic Sans MS:6315e1288d] [/font:6315e1288d]

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Pictures Mary Lou, Pictures! :)

Hmmm, seems a long way to go to get them for myself. Sounds like a great place though! I looked at the Dawn site but couldn't figure out how to order anything. I do want some, I asked at the local Yipes! store but they don't have any paint matched guards.

I am wondering where to mount them though. I noticed the guards on my Odyssey hit a lot lower on the Prius than another poster said he had his mounted. I think I need to sample a bunch of different potential dent making cars for where they will hit :)

5. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

[font=Comic Sans MS:6c0072fa3f]I'm having trouble posting a picture. It comes back saying my picture is too big over 750. How do I make it smaller?
    Mary Lou[/font:6c0072fa3f]

6. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You'll need to resize it on your computer first. I presume you have a digital camera and it came with some photo editing software. In the application that came with my Olympus, I choose Image then Resize from the menu. 640 x 480 should be fine for web pages. Do a Save As so you don't overwrite the original picture.

7. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

[font=Comic Sans MS:3d88ff8f2a]Ok here goes again. I took your advice Bruce. Hope this one takes. In this pic the molding looks slightly darker than the car but it actually isn't.
    Mary Lou[/font:3d88ff8f2a]

8. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have you tested it with other cars? I think that position is about the same as someone else posted. The side bumper on my Odyssey's door hit about half way between the indentation in the door and where you have the bumper.

Also, do they have one set size or did the shop guy order a specific length for each part? I'm thinking I might want full door coverage and maybe even a bit for the back so kids getting out of the big SUVs won't dent the rear panel. Might be overkill though.

Nice maple in the background :)

9. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my SilverBC9 with the same Dawn moldings. Had them put on in late Apr or early May as I recall. They look great and are working just fine.

10. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmm higher and longer, so they must take orders for specific lengths.

11. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

[font=Comic Sans MS:2f52b41457]Bruce,
    Yes, they did measure the sides and I over heard them tell Dawn Ent. on the phone the measurements of each door. I'm sure you can get it the way you would like it.
    I see Bill60546's Pic posted under mine. I took his pic, printed it out and brought it to the Collision place. It looks like mine are lower than his though. I'll test it out tomorrow with another car.
    Mary Lou[/font:2f52b41457]