1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After replacing the Startup Battery for my '09, why do beeps occur when in reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by newblue2, Oct 24, 2015.

1. newblue2

newblue2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    After replacing the Startup Battery for my '09, why do beeps occur when in reverse?
    Merged.
    This had not happened before I had to replace the startup battery. The car has about 130,000. The garage has no idea of why the beeps now sound. They think it's a good safety feature, but it's far from that. No one outside hears the beeps, so it's not like big equipment that is alerting bystanders that it's backing up. I'm distracted by the noise I hear INSIDE the car. I KNOW I'm in reverse! Now the beeps would, perhaps, not allow me to hear someone or something outside the car. Why the beeps??? More importantly, how can I stop them?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you buy the car used? the beeps are a factory default and probably got reset. you can ask the dealer or diy with a code reader.

3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In a gen 2 Prius, isn't there a way to do it using the car's systems alone? Do a search on Prius chat for gen 2 disable reverse beeps. I know I had to get a code reader for my gen 3, but I think you can do it without for the 2009
    Merged.
    Link to thread on this:
    Disabling the Reverse Beep | PriusChat

#3 Kramah313, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2. Disabling Reverse Beep

Power on the car, Cycle ODO/TRIP, stopping on ODO, Power off the car.

Power on, within 6 seconds, hold ODO for at least 10 seconds.

While still holding ODO shift into Reverse and back into Park.

b-on shows on speedometer display, press ODO to cycle to "b-off".

This also works for the seatbelt beep, replace shifting with buckling/un-buckling.

5. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good info. Is there a way to do it with Techstream? Where would you find that info, on techinfo.toyota.com?

6. newblue2

newblue2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No, purchased new in 2009. The garage had no idea of why it was beeping. The service mgr. remarked that it was great, since it's a safety feature. I think he though people outside the car were hearing it instead of just me inside. This occured when they replaced the starter battery. $$$ I'll have to be diligent in making sure it doesn't happen again. We can hope.

Thanks! Will it shut off the seat belt alarm at the same time? I'd like to keep those.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Disabled reverse beep is not a default setting. When the 12 volt battery is disconnected, the car goes back to default settings, loses custom programming (like disabled reverse beep) which requires constant voltage in order to be retained.

The reason for the interior beep when the car's in reverse is as a reminder to the driver that you're in reverse. It's thus because of the Prius having an unusual return-to-center shifter that gives no visual clue as to what gear you're in. You've explained that this is not necessary for you, we get that.

My suggestion would be: get the dealership to disable it again, and then the next time the battery is disconnect ask them to use a memory saver, something that temporarily supplies 12 power while the battery's out of the car.

Or just live with it.

8. newblue2

newblue2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for the directions and help! Thanks to all for all the explanations.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And sorry for my testy tone. A lot of people get riled by the interior beep, but seriously: I just live with it, it's a few seconds, and might just keep you from backing into your garage door, or somebody.

With me it STILL doesn't do the trick, at least once I've caught myself starting to head back when I was expecting forward. Old school physical shifter was better in that regard: you rest your hand on it, you can see/feel what gear you're in.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone at the dealership must have disabled it when you purchased, very unusual. unheard of, really.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The instructions I posted does the trick on gen2. Takes 15 seconds