1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After slipping and whirring and towing, car stuck in Neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jbct, Mar 25, 2024.

1. jbct

jbct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So the problem started when the front wheel (or maybe wheels) slid on something going up a slight incline. The icon with the car with the wavy lines showed up on the dash as I have seen before. So the car goes into and stays in the anti-skid mode where it is making an effort to stop skidding, whirring sound coming from underneath the car. Since the car was on a slight slope I managed to turn off the main road and turned off the car. I let it sit about 10 minutes but the minute I started the car up, the whirring sound started and it wouldn't stop by putting the car into Drive or Reverse. Tow truck towed me home. Next day- I think by lifting the car up with the tires off the road, the towing helped because no whirring and nothing stuck in anti-skid mode but now the car won't go into Drive or Reverse, just Neutral or Park. Help! Car has 173,000 mi on it and a new 12v battery about one month ago. Weather at the time this happened was about 50 degrees. The red triangle is showing as is the parking brake light although the parking brake is not on. I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to be a major repair. I haven't tried the 12v battery disconnect yet but that is number one on my list to try. If it's the skid control ECU, it's probably bye, bye for my Prius.:(

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    if it's the skid control ecu, they're a dime a dozen from a salvage yard.

First thing you need to do is get codes read by a capable scanner. Could be something as simple as a damaged speed sensor or tone ring or as bad as a failed transaxle.

Codes will provide the answer.