1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After we reach a new climate change steady state, will North America be like Australia?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 9, 2012.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice, liveable coastal edges with a massive dreary outback for most of the middle?

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not what the climate models I've seen indicate. Do you have a new one?

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Ice Ages had intervening "Mega-Thermal" Periods.

Even the past mini-Ice Ages of the past century had mini-"Mega-Thermal" Periods.

We are most likely at the onset of one of these mini-"Mega-Thermal" Periods.

It might be more like Africa and the Sahara.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't seen the latest. What are the predictions? I remember hearing that Canada will be a winner.

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the government boring ones - There are definitely more scholarly ones and more exciting projections
    Future Climate Change | Climate Change | US EPA

The american southwest becoming dryer seems to be the strongest prediction, with rains shifting away from it.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We all will be drinking Fosters, looking for 'roos and wondering what that Dundee guy is driving!

7. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Forget about Dundee, there will be that crazy Max bloke and the fight for scarce water, gasoline and other resources.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

no. Australia has a very unique topography that prevents precipitation from easily reaching the interior due to a relatively unbroken mountain change.

here we dont have that so moisture blowing in from the seas will always be here. what we will have is actually quite the opposite. with warmer temps we will store much less water in the mountains. this will cause much drier summers and much wetter springs. we will do pretty much what we do now. go from torrential floods to withering droughts but the intensity of the events will be more damaging

austingreen likes this.
  10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And talking funny and wearing silly looking hats.

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's technically called an "orographic mountain barrier."

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    TY Mike, TY... had it on the "tip of my tongue".... or something

13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We'll be like Australia without a bunch of friendly people with pleasant accents.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Grew up in Oklahoma . . . no one will notice the change. The Okies had already migrated to California leaving . . . my ancestors.

Bob Wilson

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I love it, today driving to lunch, I saw a guy driving from the right seat, and rolled down my window. He was driving a cool old holden car with a truck bed, that he brought over from australia. No aircon, and it was already 90. That's what I think dundee would drive. I need my air conditioning if I am not going to get to work all sweaty, but maybe we will evolve.

People seemed to have been drinking bud light lime-a-ritas and IPAs over the 4th. I don't think fosters will catch on again. I wonder if armadillos will migrate north.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds about right, except for the more damaging.
    I doubt we will get as bad as the dust bowl, or the droughts in texas in the '50s, the chinese famine, etc. We have more technology now to avert some of the suffering. What will get more damaging is insurance losses on the coasts as governments help subsidize people to build more expensive structures in harms way.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    we do have the technology but we fail to use it. we built pipelines that criss cross the country but ones that carry water are no more than a few hundred miles long. that is a mistake. flooding is not a big secret. you will see flooding every other year at minimum in nearly all the major river valleys Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio, etc. at the same time there are areas of the country that are perennially short on water. does it cost that much money to pipe water across the country?? ya, i bet it does. probably near a billion just to build the system and a few hundred million to run it every year. but what would it do?

what would happen if the SW and SE were able to maximize their production of crops. how much money would it save the US? how much are we about to lose from our current corn crop?? and that is this year. how much did we lose in agriculture last year? 2 Billion?? it goes on and on.

we concentrate all our resources on oil because we think we need it to survive. try a taste, its awful! dont know why we think it so important especially nowadays that the industrial revolution has passed us by. what some of us have become to realize is that without water, we have nothing. so why do we fail to manage it 98% of the time?

the California Aquaduct system cost a fortune (they definitely did not do it the cheap way) but it has probably paid for itself a million times over. without it, LA never would have happened.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say we have screwed with the eco system enough, no need to create rivers in pipes, as we have already changed the course of rivers and built cities where they used to be. Then we are suprised when nature tries to move them back. Large amounts of water is diverted to agriculture.

Don't we grow way to much corn. Can you buy a processed food with out corn starch, corn sugar, or corn meal? We can't even buy gasoline without corn in it. Its truly scary how much the government is forcing us to use corn. Yes lets plant what grows with the world we've got. Corn takes a tremendous amount of water, fertilizer, other chemicals that have created a giant dead zone in the gulf. OK I'll get down from the soap box now.
    Hey, I like olive oil, and its natural:) You mean the dark stuff, never tasted it, I hear its bad for you.

And sometimes I think .... How much less pollution, less oil, less waste if there never was an LA.

Half funny rant, half serious rant.

19. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. because the Gulf Stream will cease and you will plunge into an Ice age.:)

20. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The red necks have copied those from the Texans.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.